DTS-ES 6.1 discrete & matrix qith 5.1 summary

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matt*B, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

Ok -- I have read around and have gathered the following -- please let me know if I am correct...

I have a nice, new 5.1 surround setup in my theater, and don't plan on buying a 6.1 receiver anytime soon. Now....

If A DVD has DTS-ES 6.1 (matrix), then the "center rear" would be heard by using a stereo effect from the left and right speakers....

and if a DVD has DTS-ES 6.1 (discrete) there is an ACTUAL stream for the rear speaker. But since it isn't present in my system, will it still be played as a stereo effect in the two rear speakers?

Also, in the above cases, "matrixed" means "played in stereo" -- right? One more thing -- the above holds true for both cases with Dolby Digital EX, right?

Thanks,

Matt

2. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

I can never figure out how to delete threads, or edit the titles on this forum -- just for the record, I don't normally spell "with" with a "q".

Haha,

Matt

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    On this forum, you cannot delete your own threads or edit the title.

No, matrix does not mean stereo. Matrix refers to the fact that the rear channels are extracted (matrixed) from the side surround information. That information is included in the side surround signal for extraction in DD-EX and DTS-ES matrix. Matrix would also refer to using a 7.1 processing function to create the 6th and 7th channels from 5.1 and lower material. With DTS-ES discrete, the rear center is discrete as suggested.

When you play 6.1 material on a 5.1 system, the rear center is just left out, and the information remains in the rear channels. I have the same setup - 5.1 with no surround backs, and ES discrete works fine, though it's not the same as having the rear center.

4. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hello....

In 6.1, though, there are no "side" channels? are there? Either way, the center rear channel audio that is piped through the rear speakers will probably be in stereo so they at least appear to be in the rear center -- correct?

Matt

5. John Garcia

John
    The "normal" surrounds are considerd side surrounds. 6.1/7.1 adds rear center(s) or "surround back" chanels.

The material that would have been extracted from the side channels, which are discrete in 5.1, is still there. Basically, you won't be missing any information, you just won't have it playing through the extra speaker(s).

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'm going to add a little to what John said to clarify it some:

But you will get the "image" of the rear center info for both DTS-ES (discrete or matrix) and DD EX in the rear center of the room. But right, just no physical speaker there. Same deal as if you did a "phantom" center up front.

And in truth, the info that would be "extracted" to form the rear center info, is actually mono info (in phase) in both rear channels. Not stereo. That's how the decoder finds it. (If you had a 6.1 setup, that is.)

7. John Garcia

John
    For EX and ES, the two rears are playing the same thing, so you are basically gettting the same thing either way, except that you have an additional speaker to expand the soundfield with 7.1. There are other formats that can "spread" the sound and get slightly different variants of sound in each speaker, such as Logic 7 and DPL IIx.