DTS enable for DVD player?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Shaughan, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Shaughan

Shaughan Stunt Coordinator

OK! First post here on HTF [​IMG]

I recently purchased a low end 6.1 receiver that supports DTS/Dolby Digital etc etc etc...

The DVD player I have also supports DTS etc etc etc...

The DVD player is a Panasonic DVD-S35. Now it took me a little while to figure out that I needed the optical connection to get the digital surround formats to work and once I put that in, Dolby Digital worked great - And sounds great too [​IMG]

Now I have a number of DVDs that have both Dolby and DTS on them - Two that I have tested with are the Mummy special edition and Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the ring.

Both of these packages indicate that they have DTS. But when I play them, they both only come out in Dolby Digital - Now on the DVD player I set the audio output formats to bitstream for both DTS and Dolby instead of PCM.

No idea what PCM is but when it was set to that the amp did not recognize the digital format...

I have combed through the DVD player manual to TRY and discern what to do to make it select DTS as the output data format but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what setting needs to be changed.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance!

Shaughan

2. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    Are you choosing the DTS soundtrack in the audio setup on the DVD?

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

have you checked the actual dvd's menus for audio setup options? that's usually where it is.

edit: JYNX!

4. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

or start the dvd and press the audio button on the remote, then select dts from the drop-down menu (or however yours does it). i select the subtitles that way too. no need to mess with the dvd menus.

ag.

5. Shaughan

Well, I have tried that - It says Dolby Digital English 3/2.1 and when I attempt to change it I get that red cirlce with the line through it - According to the manual it says use the up/down arrow keys to change this setting, which I do, but no dice...

6. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    It sounds like all you need to do is go to the movie's menus under languages or audio setup or just setup, and choose dts track. Dts tracks will not automatically play, like the DD track does.....you HAVE to choose it in the menu, and have your receiver set on digital auto......
    Good luck!

7. Shaughan

Many thanks for all of the replies. I finally got this to work with the LOTR DVD. The Mummy Ultimate Edition was another story though. I think that DVD is mis-marked as there is NO audio setup menu to enable DTS on that DVD.

TYVM Universal Home Video ;P

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Is there a menu option for "Languages"?

M.

9. Shaughan

Yes there is and I looked in there as well. Just got off the fone with a friend that works in UHV and asked him about this title.

He said he thinks it was indeed mis-marked and that the version I have is no longer in the UHV catalog now. Only the regular and collector's editions are there.

So on the positive side I do have a version of Mummy that has a ton of additional content on the additional DVD so I guess that is something...

Wish it really was DTS tho...

Anyone else out there have this DVD and have the same issue?