DTS DVD LFE Level

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Barefoot, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Joe Barefoot

Joe Barefoot Stunt Coordinator

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but, should one calibrate the LFE on DTS DVD sources 10 dB hot? I'm not talking about the normal 10 dB boost for LFE, but an additional 10 dB. Thanks.

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

...guess you didnt see my addendum on your original thread....we're not "calibrating" thje Dts LFE so much as setting the trim to max range.

3. Joe Barefoot

Joe Barefoot Stunt Coordinator

"The LFE channel level is normally already set in the receiver. On a few units you can adjust the relative LFE level. If I recall correctly, DD has a suggested LFE offset of 0 dB, and DTS suggests a 0 dB offset for music and +10 dB for movie sound tracks."

This is a quote from Guy Kuo in an article/post that you recommended. Bill, I've decided my mission is to drive you nuts!

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

exactly, joe. and this is my current scheme. My Dts LFE IS set +10dB (and since I have no Dts music, it stays there).
    Guy's proviso was that if Dts movie LFE sounded too boomy, then just back off. So far I haven't.[​IMG]
    bill