What's new

DTS DVD, DD Receiver (1 Viewer)

Nick Baird

Auditioning
Hi,

I have a JVC DVD player that is both Dolby Digital and DTS capable. The only thing is that my JVC receiver, which is a little older, is only Dolby Digital. Are there any settings or anything that will allow me to benefit from my DVD player being DTS?

I also have one more question. I have a Sony Wega 36” HD Monitor. I have been changing some settings and was wondering if anyone had any advice and getting the best picture without a great signal, such as any cable channel. Is a cable booster a good idea? Some channels look great, but some you can see issues with the 'up conversion'.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I am assuming also, as it seems John did, that by DD/DTS "capable" that it does *not* have on-board decoders. If it *did* have on-board DTS decoders (some do, but it's not really common) then you could utilize those, and let the DVD player do the decoding.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
From my own experience with el-cheapo (not actual brand name) cable boosters is the conclusion that they're worthless. After I determined their worthlessness I called the cable company to complain and they sent a guy over.

The cable guy installed new wire (at no charge to me, I'm a renter!) and all my problems with a bad picture went away. He said the old wiring (maybe 15+ years) was in pretty bad shape. So maybe you also have a cable-wire problem?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Garrett... that's a good point, but it really has no bearing with this question.

He does not have a DTS capable receiver, so unless his DVD player has built-in decoders, he'll just have to be happy with DD for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks