DTS DVD, DD Receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Nick Baird, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Nick Baird

Nick Baird Auditioning

Hi,

I have a JVC DVD player that is both Dolby Digital and DTS capable. The only thing is that my JVC receiver, which is a little older, is only Dolby Digital. Are there any settings or anything that will allow me to benefit from my DVD player being DTS?

I also have one more question. I have a Sony Wega 36” HD Monitor. I have been changing some settings and was wondering if anyone had any advice and getting the best picture without a great signal, such as any cable channel. Is a cable booster a good idea? Some channels look great, but some you can see issues with the 'up conversion'.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Unfortunately, you cannot get DTS if your receiver does not decode it.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I am assuming also, as it seems John did, that by DD/DTS "capable" that it does *not* have on-board decoders. If it *did* have on-board DTS decoders (some do, but it's not really common) then you could utilize those, and let the DVD player do the decoding.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

From my own experience with el-cheapo (not actual brand name) cable boosters is the conclusion that they're worthless. After I determined their worthlessness I called the cable company to complain and they sent a guy over.

The cable guy installed new wire (at no charge to me, I'm a renter!) and all my problems with a bad picture went away. He said the old wiring (maybe 15+ years) was in pretty bad shape. So maybe you also have a cable-wire problem?

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Garrett... that's a good point, but it really has no bearing with this question.

He does not have a DTS capable receiver, so unless his DVD player has built-in decoders, he'll just have to be happy with DD for now.