What's new

DTS, DTS-HD, 7.1 and such.... help? (1 Viewer)

MarkV74

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Hello all,

I'm Mark new to site (introduction in correct forum :P) anyhow, I have a couple of questions for you all to see what's the best thing I can and learn from you all. Here's my hardware/equipment:

Reciever: Sony STR-DH830
Blu Ray : Sony BDP-S570
Speakers Infinity BU-2, 7 Speakers and 1 Sub-woofer.(really loud by the way...)
TV: Mitsubishi DLP-65' 1080P

My questions are the following:

I can't seem to figure out how to get 7.1 sound of my equipment, any thoughts?
DTS-HD, DTS and some sound fields aren't recognized when using HDMI cable, Why is this?
Should I use an optical cable or HDMI? What's the best?
When I used the Optical Cable the most I got was DTS and it showed it on the receiver's screen, now that I'm using HDMI I dont see it, sometimes the words "Dolby Digital 5.1" flash by and then it goes to PLIX-M5.

Although I hear all speakers working the receiver doesn't display the audio channel that I use, all i get is PLIX -M5 display with the Dolby logo and a small x next to it, my BDP-S570 is directly connected to the receiver, receiver is connected to TV. Now, my apologies for being such a ''noob'' on the matter but any ideas/help is greatly appreciated.

Mark.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
HDMI is preferred over optical.

Go into the Bluray players audio setup menu and make sure "Auto" is selected and not LPCM or PCM. Also select "Dolby Digital and DTS instead of Downmix PCM. See page 23 of the BR manual.

MarkV74

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Thanks, I will test this as soon as I get some days off ;). Thanks for reply.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Three things to check:

(1) You cannot pass HD audio over optical. Only standard DD/DTS. They will not pass high band, so make sure just HDMI connected.
(2) Check your BDP preference to make sure it's set to use both bitstream and HDMI as primary audio output
(3) Make sure no analog "modes" are chosen on your receiver and passthrough (if an option) is not turned on

MarkV74

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I am now enjoying 7.1 sound and all the formats avail on my receiver.. thanks fellow enthusiasts.. thanks a million! :)

MarkV74

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts,

Question on this topic: Is there a reason that all settings would revert to original settings without User re-setting them? reason I ask is now I only get LPCM 48 and can't seem to figure out how to get the right sound out of my reciever/bd ... :( thanks for any help in advance...

Mark

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sounds like the BR player is reverting back to PCM audio output. Re-set the HDMI Audio Output back to Auto. Sometimes I have to re-set settings a few times in my Pioneer Elite BR player before the changes "stick". It seems to help if I back out the setup menu by hitting the Return button instead of the main Home Menu button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks