DTS Dropped From "Blue Crush"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronJB, Dec 31, 2002.

1. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Got an early chance to watch Universal's 1/14 release "Blue Crush". The DTS track has been dropped, it seems, as the only tracks available that I see are English/French/Spanish DD 5.1.

The DD 5.1 track, however, is awesome so far. The surfing scenes sound incredible and are remarkably enveloping, as it seems as if the waves are crashing through the listening space.

Extras include 2 commentaries (one with the director, one with the three female leads) and quite a few little featurettes/odds & ends.

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Is it just me, or are we seeing fewer DTS new releases? Often, they are supposed to have it, then it gets dropped.

3. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I'm "Blue Crushed"
    I'm so funny! [​IMG]
    You know, being a new DTS consumer (just got my first DTS receiver) I've not noticed a lack of titles... but that will be something I look for in the future.
    I do remember that a lot of titles in the past have separate releases for DD and DTS (like Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park) that I'm now wishing I'd bought, since I didn't have DTS at the time and wasn't worried about it... wasn't thinking about the future, oh well.

4. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Justin..

For many of the separate DTS releases, it's definitely worth upgrading. eBay the old releases, and snap up the DTS versions.

Particularly Saving Private Ryan and Jurassic Park..

Best Regards,

Scott.

5. Keith E

Keith E Stunt Coordinator

While on the DTS topic, how does the Galaxy Quest DTS compare with the Dolby Digital? Just curious if I should upgrade.

6. PeteD

PeteD Stunt Coordinator

Damn! I just cancelled my Amazon.com pre order since canadian sites didn't list the DTS track I figured it was just dropped from our release.

I have to say that I for one am depressed about this.

I saw it in DTS at the theatre and as I've stated here before, it's an academy award worthy sound design.

Yo, Universal: Boooooooooooo to you.

7. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

I would hardly think the omission of a halrf-bit rate DTS track would be a sufficient deterrent for fans of the movie not to purchase the title.

8. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I'm okay with them dropping the DTS track as long as it showed no real improvement over the Dolby Digital track and they where going to substitute in more extras. I doubt the later part of that statement would be true considering we are talking about Universal Home Video, but I can always dream.

Chris S.

9. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    DD, DTS, who cares? I'm picking this dvd up just to see Michelle Rodriguez in a bikini! [​IMG]
    Seriously though, a soild soundtrack is a solid soundtrack no matter what format it is IMO. I read that many protested the ommision of the DTS track from the 'BTTF' trilogy even though Bob Gale flatly stated there was no difference between the DD and the DTS track.
    Nothing personal, but sometimes the do-or-die DTS lovers go a bit too far IMO.
    Hell, Point Break's DD track rocks during the surfing scene's and that's a fairly dated soundtrack! Blue Crush should be an outstanding audio experience.

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I don't see how people can make accurate comparisons between what they hear at home and what they hear at the theater. I see many people making such comparisons. DTS is different in home and theater, as someone just pointed out. In addition, the equipment used in a theater is different as are the accoustics, etc.

12. PeteD

PeteD Stunt Coordinator

Missing my point.. But I'm not touching this debate with a ten foot speaker cable [​IMG]

13. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Here we go again...

14. Michael St. Clair

Here is an interesting article on DTS versus DD.
    I'm for dropping DTS from all releases if the bit savings is used to improve picture quality.

15. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

16. Michael St. Clair

17. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

You know, I was going to put "Here's another 1 sided story..." but my brain didnt get the connection fast enough!.

18. Dom P.

Dom P. Stunt Coordinator

Well, in getting back to the original point of this thread, I just watched Blue Crush, and the DD 5.1 soundtrack is AWESOME. More bass than I have heard in a long time, and the water/wave scenes truely do come to live and seem as if they are crashing down around you. [​IMG]