DTS doesnt use a Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nick Jablome, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Nick Jablome

Nick Jablome Agent

I was watching Saving Private Ryan (DTS version), and i noticed that the Subwoofer light wasnt on my receiver. I switched Pro Logic 2 mode, and then the subwoofer was on again. I have NEO:6 on my receiver. Does DTS not use a subwoofer at all?

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Do you have the subwoofer set to yes in your DTS mode?
    Does the subwoofer work with other DTS titles?

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

List your receiver make and model. It's most likely a setting on the receiver. And I'm moving this to the Receivers section.

Most DTS tracks do include the LFE channel (that's the ".1" in "5.1"). But even those that don't will send information to the subwoofer if the receiver's crossover is set to route low frequencies there.

M.

4. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    not only that, but saving private ryan has one of the best DTS surround tracks ever... my LFE on the sub sounds amazing...

what kind of receiver is it?

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Make sure you set it to straight DTS with a digital connection such as coax or optical, NOT the basic RCA stereo L/R that is used with ProLogic2 or DTSNeo:6. How do you have your DVD player hooked up to your reciever? I think its kinda odd you are able to select DPL2 or DTSNeo with a DTS signal. Make sure you have the correct connections.

DTS on your SPR is totally different from DTSNeo6. DTSNeo6 is a pseudo-surround format like ProLogic that creates surround sound from a stereo source. DTS is a digital audio format that is DISCRETE 5.1 channel surround sound (whereas DTSNeo6 is not discrete).

If its all hooked up correctly, check that the audio output is set to BITSTREAM (or digital out, not Analog 2ch or PCM).

Since its only your SUB thats affected, im pretty sure its just your reciever tahts not setup correctly.

6. Nick Jablome

Nick Jablome Agent

Yah see i didn't want to get that much into that, but thanks anyway.

Richard - Yah i have the sub set on, but it might be because i dont have a digital connection, only analog.

Michael - Thanks for clarifying, i thought DTS was 5.1

7. Mark Olton

Mark Olton Auditioning

DTS is 5.1 discrete channels (including an LFE channel), but you'll need a digital connection to get it. Neo:6 is matrix encoded onto two channels, so you can get it with an analog connection. The subwoofer channel is generated by bass management in the receiver, so perhaps there's a setting on your receiver to send more bass to the sub (like setting your mains to "Small").

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You're welcome. However, DTS isn't necessarily 5.1. I've seen some DTS tracks that are 5.0 (i.e., no LFE channel).

Don't confuse the presence or absence of the LFE channel with subwoofer activity. They aren't the same thing. Again, it all depends on your receiver and how it's configured.

M.

9. ty_diaz

ty_diaz Agent

I just watched Saving Private Ryan last night and subwoofer worked no problems on the DTS version of the DVD.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    As Nick mentioned, it sounds like your player is set to PCM (stereo) rather than bitstream for DTS, which is why it goes to NEO:6.