What's new

DTS discs versus DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
did dts discs fade away and morph into what we call dvd-audio discs?

the reason i'm asking is because i have the Gaucho dts disc, but was wondering how it really differs from the new DVD-Audio release sonically.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Gaucho DTS disc sounds fantastic. I won't bother replacing mine. I understand that the DVD-A is a newer mix and of course has superior fidelity to the lossy DTS version. Doesn't matter to me though, the DTS is good enough as fas as I'm concerned.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
yeah. i think i'm just gonna have to see for myself. i'm a tremendous dan fan, so it's almost an obligation.

anyone know what resolution the stereo tracks on the new dvd-audio are?

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
To answer your question with my experience with DTS.

I have Alan Parson's On-Air DTS and have listened to other DTS discs and my compaint about DTS is that for the rear channels, its sounds like the audio is being pushed to the rear channel instead of the sound being allocated to the channel. I hope that makes sense.

My DVD-A discs all sound full in the rear channels, instead of the ghost like affect I call it, I get with DTS sound

Paul

John Geelan

Screenwriter
2 DTS discs I own that are also DVDA discs (Porcupine Tree "In Absentia" and Queen's ANATO) both sound great in DTS mode.

I feel the DTS versions have a fuller sound that is more fun and pleasant for Rock Music.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Just to say it explicitly since no one else has yet, these are distinct, separate products: the former didn't morph into the latter. DTS Entertainment, Inc.'s DTS CDs are of course still around (but I don't think they are releasing any new titles), confusingly repackaged in the same style jewel case as most DVD-As. (And since last fall Universal has been most aggressive about re-releasing on DVD-A titles they licensed to DTS for DTS CD release back circa 1998-1999.)

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks