What's new

DTS Disc Question (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
snip from above:That's a good point, and as was mentioned (i.e. the aggressiveness of the mix), what do people really want out of surround?

Do you want it used as just an effect or do you want to be constantly reminded that all speakers are being used?

The one thing that bugs me with some of the live material, is the use of the crowd in the rears. I assume that's trying to replicate the live experience, but depending on room setup (i.e. my couch is right up against the wall that my rear speakers are mounted to) the audience (in the rear) is kind of annoying.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Is speaker placement standardized? One of the alleged problems with the classic quad setup was that the phantom centers were less than convincing.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Is speaker placement standardized?

I believe if they have the THX label it is.
Most newer gear has settings which allow you to put speakers in differeny places and to componsate the placement

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Grant: see diagram on page of 2-5 of this .pdf document, "Recommendations for Surround Sound Production", written by professional multichannel mixers, several of them major mixing bigwigs.* The diagram is for a home speaker set up.

Based on personal experience, having surround speakers - for movies or music - at the sides of the listening position severely reduces the effectiveness of a surround sound presentation. I.e. how can you have a music sound field BEHIND you if the speakers aren't back there too???

* Chuck Ainlay, Joe Chiccarelli, Bob Clearmountain, Frank Filipetti, Leslie Ann Jones, Rory Kaplan, Jeff Levison, Bob Ludwig, George Massenburg, Howard Massey, Hank Neuberger, Phil Ramone, Elliot Scheiner, Eric Schilling, Al Schmitt, Jeff Skillen, Paul Stubblebine.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Oh my, there is nothing "alleged" about it.;) Here and here. I've heard it and it sounds great. Even the slide shows are well done. Includes 96kHz/24bit 4.1 hi-res mix, Dolby Digital and DTS tracks (the last two options also show up on the menu when played on a dvd-a player).

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Two words: Carl Verheyen (on AIX Records)...sorry! Couldn't resist!

On another note, I personally don't believe a stereo recording with 48+ tracks and various levels of reverb, delay, outboard effects, etc. and the dynamic range of a pea is any more realistic (or better) than an immersive m/c mix that places the listener in the middle of the action.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

But those weren't stereo. Stereo is "three dimensional", not "oh my gosh that is so kewl, you have two speakers"

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
IMHO, a good mix is a good mix is a good mix - mono, stereo, or m/c - if it serves the material well. If you're constantly distracted by whizz-bang stuff, that's definitely a bad thing.

The Steve Miller "Fly Like An Eagle" new 30th Anniversary 5.1 mix has "tick", "tock" in each rear speaker, and "doo doo doo doodoo" in the front center. The cut and paste nature of that doesn't work well with me, not so much the placement. Again, the mix should serve the music, not the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks