What's new

DTS detection. (1 Viewer)

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure where this question should be posed, and this is my best guess, so here it is.

Last night, we finally got around to watching "Terminator 3".
It gets my vote for "MOST INTENSIVE USE OF DD!"
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

But I noticed the DTS logo during the ending credits. There were no sound set-up options in the menu. My receiver (Yamaha HTR-5630) auto-detects 99+% of the disks and automatically switches to the correct sound format. With T3, and others bearing the DTS logo, it switches. Just not always to DTS. It seems to be hit or miss.

So my question is: Have others had similar experiences? Is it something being missed by the receiver or something missing from the DVD?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Movies are released to the theater in several formats (DD, DTS, SDDS), and thats what you saw in the credits. This has no bearing on how its subsequently released on DVD.

T3, IIRC, was NOT released in DTS for DVD. Its up to the producers of the DVD to determine whether or not to include DTS.

BGL

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Your receiver will automatically go to a dts track, if it's on the dvd?
I've not seen one do that before........
All I've seen, you had to choose dts track in dvd menu. DD is usually the default.

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
My Denon AVR 1604 defaults to DD. I have to select DTS from the disc menu, which is no big deal.

Roy

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Then your Denon 1604 doesn't *ever* automatically detect DTS?

I think Ed probably nailed it, though. If the disk wasn't distributed with DTS encryption, my Yamaha can't detect it (Duh).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks