DTS Demonstration Discs covers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NiklasKarlsson, Jun 12, 2001.

1. NiklasKarlsson

NiklasKarlsson Stunt Coordinator

I know that it has been discussed before but I have some problems locating those threads. I´m looking for covers to the DTS Demo discs especially if anybody has made covers that resembles each other. Looking for discs 3-5 especially
    ------------------
    /Niklas
    My Theater My Movies

2. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

3. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

I have Fred's cover art for disc 4, but like an idiot, I never downloaded the matching art for disc 3. Doh! If anyone wants the art for disc 4, let me know and I'll make it available on my web site, since Fred's web site is gone (?). Here's are some thumbnails.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I also have made cover art for DTS demo disc 5 and the THX Surround EX demo disc (with permission from and based on designs by Chris Berban). Those are availabe for download from (towards the bottom of the page):
    http://mobius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

4. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

Andrea I cant make your link work.
    ------------------
    Jeff Whitford
    Hometheater Guru

5. Andrea W

Sorry, my site was down. A Time Warner fool came out to disconnect my basic cable TV service and they hosed my Road Runner service and left. Took a while to get a guy back out to fix whatever they did. I'm back online now, though!
    ------------------
    http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

6. Darren D

Darren D Stunt Coordinator

Although I can pretty well deduce the answer to my question, I'd rather hear it from your fingertips:
    What are DTS Demonstration Discs?

7. Andrea W

DTS demo disc 5 contains the following demonstration clips (each last about 5-10 minutes):
    1. Gladiator (DTS-ES discrete 6.1, 5.1 compatible)
    2. The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    3. Titan A.E.
    4. U-571
    5. Chicken Run (DTS-ES discrete 6.1, 5.1 compatible)
    6. Steely Dan: Cousin Dupree
    DTS Demonstration DVD No.4 contains:
    1. DTS Logo: Sonic Landscape
    2. Dances with Wolves
    3. The Haunting
    4. Antz
    5. Eagles: Hotel California
    6. Roy Orbison: Pretty Woman
    7. Sheryl Crow: Am I Getting Through
    The clips are full bitrate DTS.
    There are discs 1-3, but I don't have them. I love disc 5. If you go to http://store.dtsonline.com/

8. Darren D

Darren D Stunt Coordinator

Thanks! I think I will go there! My Yamaha 5240 is dying for more DTS...

9. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Andrea,
    [​IMG] kudos on the impressive website & HT.
    BTW-Nice HTML to boot... [​IMG]
    I am sure this is a stupid question , but how do us low end users print such a large file on 8 1/2 x 11 paper or is it another size?
    Help, as I need a cover for DTS 4.
    Hell, I would settle for disc 5 if I could find one... [​IMG]
    THANKS!
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd
    LD's / E-Quip / DVD's

10. Andrea W

I'm sure this is really unsophisticated, but I took a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 card stock paper (which is thick paper) and taped (with masking tape) a piece of regular paper to the back of it to make it about it about 2 inches longer and ran that through my HP DeskJet 970 Cse (with the margins set as small as they would go). I don't remember if I told it I had letter size paper or legal size paper, but one of those settings worked (in conjunction with the "longer" paper). Then I pulled the masking tape and regular paper off (all the print was contained on the card stock paper), and trimmed it with a paper cutter.
    ------------------

11. Andrea W

I put together a download page (with previews) of cover art for DTS Demo Discs 3, 4, and 5, the THX EX Demo Disc, and the DVD Demystified Disc:
    http://mobius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/dvdcoverart.shtml

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

If anyone is interested, I also have Fred's covers for 3 and 4 (which in my opinion are the best ones I've seen, and the ones I personally use)...
    I can email them if you have a big enough size limit on your mailbox- of they are available on the CD I offer which also features the Bond covers (Free cd-r I will burn for those who do not have the broadband connection to download them).
    Vince
    PS: I found it somewhat funny that Andrea included a copyright readme concerning redistribution attached with the files; given that all corporate logos used in the documents are used illegally and without permission from the copyright or trademark holder. THX has been known to be openly AGAINST the use of their corporate trademarks, even for non-profit "fan" artwork.
    I just thought it was funny that you would illegally use a half dozen corporate trademarks and then issue copyright claims so that people would not reuse your work. [​IMG]

13. Andrea W

Vince,
    Do you have any suggestions for the copyright wording? I did state that the other logos were trademarks of their respective companies. My intention was to prohibit distribution without my knowledge/permission and prohibit selling my work for profit. I want it to be free for everyone to enjoy.
    In any case, I'm glad you found it amusing. [​IMG]
    ------------------

14. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

15. Andrea W

Thanks for the feedback, Vince. I see your point. I've updated the READMEs and removed any copyright notices or restrictions. I've kept the part giving credit to Chris Berban for his graphics and designs, and the part about the art being provided "as is" without any warranties.
    ------------------

16. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Andrea,
    Where can I get the THX EX demo disc?
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

17. Andrea W

I found mine on eBay for $65. That seems like a lot to me now, but at the time, I had 6.1 fever and wanted everything that tickled the rear center channel. There's one now (6 days left) on eBay that's at $410. That's ridiculous! If you check back every week or so, they seem to pop up. Go to the Movies : Movies : DVD section and search for "demo".
    ------------------

18. Andrea W

Just a note that Fred is done with his fantastic cover art for DTS Demo #5. It should be coming online soon! Here are some previews of his cover art for DTS Demo Discs #3, #4, and #5:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For closer looks, go here:
    [​IMG]

19. Kevin B

Kevin B Auditioning

BTW, does anyone know if similar covers exist for the Dolby Demo DVD and the DVD Spectacular disks? These are the only two DVDs on my shelf that are still in jewel cases, and I'd like to have covers for them. If none exist, is some artistically inclined (not to mention charitably inclined) soul willing to whip some up?
    I'm of the "can't draw a straight line" variety of non-artistic human, so doing it myself might not be the best option.
    Anyone?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

20. Andrea W

Fred has completed his cover art for DTS Demo #5. It's roughly 4.6 megs. You can download it from his web site (ddd5.jpg):
    http://perso.infonie.fr/fredduck/