What's new

DTS Demo Disks. (1 Viewer)

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Hi All,

I was demoing some new equipment this morning at my local Home Theater shop in town and the owner popped in a DTS Demo disk which blew me away.
It had the movie Hero on it in Japanese [or Chinese] and it was awesome.

Does anyone know if these disks are available for purchase as they used to be years ago? There is nothing about this on the DTS web-site and I've left messages for DTS marketing, but no call back yet.

Thanks,

Mitch

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
You could at least order Hero from Japan. That version is generally regarded as the best DVD version, and features that DTS track.

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
Usually available from select Far East online retailers and relatively cheap so no need to pay extortion-bay prices. One has to laugh at what the new disc goes for when CES is on ($50-$100) when it can be bought legitimately (along with some of the older ones) for a fraction of that...

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I got #3 for free back in 1999 after requesting it thru email, and I think I had to pay a couple bucks to send #4. I lost interest in them after that, but I'd like to find the first 2 since those had the DTS track encoded as PCM, which the DVD Forum wouldn't let them do on the commercial releases because it produced noise through the analog outputs, so that's why first-generation DVD players can't output DTS.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I picked up most of mine through DTS when they mailed them out. A few others I picked up on ebay. I've got them all except #1. There fairly useless now with HD-DVD / Blu-ray.

Blaine

Agent

As Jessie points out, beginning with #3, the audio is actually flagged as DTS. I have a #2 - which for the most part is the same as #3 (#2 has "The Mask" and "Contact" where #3 has "Casper" and "Apollo 13"). The problem with #2 is that while the DTS track is encoded as PCM, I haven't been able to get it to play in most modern processors. The internal decoder in the DMP-BD10 (Panasonic Blu-ray) will not decode it, and the DTS processor in my Denon receiver also ignores it. The only way I've gotten it to play is through the Millennium 2.4.6 external decoder.

I've never personally seen Demo #1, but I've heard it is the same clips as on the DTS Demo LaserDisc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukeholland
Recent bookmarks