1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

dts Demo disc issue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre Aguiar, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

I finally got my JBLs setup. I found a DTS demo disc that I had (I think its volume 4) that has Saving Private Ryan, Dancing with the Wolves, Roy Orbeson, The Eagles, The Haunted and Antz (anyone have this disc??).

Well, as I was playing The Eagles demo in DTS I started to hear clipping from the front speakers. Right away I thought it was my receiver (Onkyo TX-DS797). I then popped in Diana Krall Live in Paris and could not hear any clipping in DTS mode.

I know there's an issue with Onkyo 797 receiver when playing digital signal. This scared me right away. I played the disc on my computer. I could have sworn I heard the clipping but could not really make it out as the JBLs are much more sensitive than my computers speakers.

Does anyone have this disc? If so, anyone else hear this clipping?

Andre

2. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"...I know there's an issue with Onkyo 797 receiver when playing digital signal"
    . . . ? ? ? . . .
    ...what on earth do you mean? ...all DVDs and plain-vanilla or DTS CDs have digital sound ONLY, so do DVD-A discs, HDCD discs... I can't imagine the Onkyo really having problems "when playing digital signal"...
    (...leaves room, scratching his head...)
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

3. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

There was at one point a batch of Onkyo 797 that would clip when playing a digital signal (not sure if its a DTS or Dolby Digital signal). Onkyo is aware of this. People who have reported this problem to Onkyo have shipped thier receivers to Onkyo, they repair and send it back. What gets repaired I don't know. It doesn't happen to all of them and there is no way to trace it via serial number (from what I've been told).

So that being said, if you want I can send you the disc to borrow and you can test out. But first I want to test this disc out on another system and see if those clipping sounds are present.

4. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I have the DTS Demo disc #4 and I have never heard any sort of clipping or distortion when playing it through my Onkyo TX-DS777 receiver.
    I have seen quite a few people on another message board complaining about audio dropouts with the TX-DS797, TX-DS898, and the TX-DS989 but it was while playing Dolby Digital encoded material. The problem arises with a few DVD titles and also with some sort of DD encoded satellite broadcasts.
    Look though the posts at this forum and you'll see what I mean:
    Onkyo forum

5. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

6. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

Yep, thats exactly it. I hear it most from the center speaker on the Hotel California demo (sometimes hear it in The Haunting and Roy Orbison but not as much).

Thanks for the clarification. Atleast someone here doesn't think I'm a looney.

Andre

7. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

I have the DTS Demo Disc #4 and it played fine on my Onkyo
    676. Even the DTS Eagles Hell Freezes Over & Diana Krall
    Live in Paris DTS are ok. No problems experienced.

8. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

Diana Krall and all the other stuff I've thrown at it (Lord of the Rings, Black Hawk Down) plays fine. Its just that disc at certain parts you can hear a clipping (almost like a corrupt mp3).

Probably a bad disc as I also hear it on my computer too (really have to listen for it though as my computer speakers are not as efficient as my JBLs).

9. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Most people don't seem to notice the Hotel California dts fault until it is pointed out to them (and sometimes not even then, though I can't figure how). The easy way to hear it is to turn the volume down so you can listen right in front of the center speaker (or else turn all the other speaker channels down) so that the other channels don't distract you.

This disc is not bad and the receiver is not faulty - it is the mastering of the track that is at fault.