DTS decoding question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Thomas_Riel, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Thomas_Riel

Thomas_Riel Agent

Hi, I have a JVC XV-SA600 DVD player hooked up to a Sony DA4ES receiver via the coaxal digital input. I have 5 speakers with no subwoofer. The Sony is set to auto decode and the DVD is streaming but I can not get the DTS decoding to operate. Is there something that I am missing. Do I need a subwoofer to make it 5.1 for it to work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Go into the DVD player's setup menu and look for an option to turn on DTS. It varies with each player, but the correct setup option is often called "bitstream". Nearly all DVD players are shipped with DTS output turned off.

M.

3. Thomas_Riel

Thomas_Riel Agent

Michael, the JVC manual gives you three options in the audio set up menu. They are PCM only, Dolby Digital/PCM and Stream/PCM. For play back of DTS bitstream they suggest the Stream/PCM option. That is what I have it set on. Is there anything else that I could be missing?

Thanks........... Tom

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Amazingly enough, my 2200 had DTS turned on from the factory. The first one I've seen like that.

How do you have the player connected? You should be using a digital (optical or coax) because your receiver likely has better bass management and processing, and this is the only way bitstream will work. If your player decodes DTS internally, you must use the multi-channel analog connections (if equiped).

Since it sounds like you have your player configure correctly, you should next look to your receiver to make sure you are using the correct digital connection for the source input you are using.

5. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Make sure the DVD you are playing has DTS available in the audio setup. Does Dolby Digital 5.1 work properly for you?

6. Thomas_Riel

Thomas_Riel Agent

Thank you all for your help. Thanks to John M I realized that you have to set up the audio on the disc when you play it if you want DTS. I have been playing dvds for six months using just Dolby Digital. Now I can't wait to hear the difference that DTS has to offer. It's tough being a newbie but it would be a lot tougher if it wasn't for you guys.

Tom