What's new

DTS decoding on DVD player??? (1 Viewer)

GregAK

Agent
My DVD player is a Magnavox MD450. I am about to get a new receiver that decodes all types of audio. Does my player have to be specifically capable of outputting a DTS signal for my receiver to decode and play it?? This is probably a dumb question but my DVD's manual doesn't say a thing about DTS (only mentions Dolby Digital) and I'm curious as to whether I need to be shopping for a new player.
Thanks
Greg

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Greg,

Your player has to be capable of passing the DTS digital bitstream to your receiver. I'm not familiar with your Magnavox, but if it has no DTS logo on the front and does not make any mention of DTS in the owner's manual, chances are it will not pass the DTS bitstream.

All players I know of that do pass DTS are shipped with it disabled because it is incompatible with non-DTS digital decoders and can damage speakers if you don't have DTS decoding in your receiver. They all come with instructions in the owner's manual on how to turn on the DTS bitstream. So if there is absolutely no mention of DTS in your owner's manual it must not pass DTS.

On the other hand, this player may have built-in DD decoding but not built in DTS decoding, but still be able to pass a DTS bitstream. Check other sections of the manual besides the part dealing with the built-in decoder.

GregAK

Agent
OK wait. On the "Specifications" page, under the heading "AUDIO FORMAT", the top line reads:
Digital Mpeg/AC-3/DTS compressed Digital

Also, under "REAR CONNECTIONS", under Digital Audio Out -- 1 coaxial, 1 optical it says IEC1937 (don't know what this means) for MPEG2, DD and DTS.

Sounds like I'm ok then, right? (This was all in the small print.)

How do I make sure it's getting to my receiver correctly? Do you know anything about SPDIF setup? Raw vs. PCM

Or LPCM 96K Setup? Off or On?

By the way, the receiver I'm getting is a Philips FR996.

Thanks a lot.
Greg

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Spdif[Sony Philips digital interface] should be set to "raw" if that's the only choice besides PCM.
The LPCM 96K has no bearing on DTS it simply tells the player to downsample to 48k if the player detects copyprotection on 96k material.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Greg,

You're good to go. Just connect the player to the receiver via one of the digital outs, either optical or coaxial.
The digital out will carry both DD and DTS to the receiver for decoding.

You may need to go into the player's setup menu to enable DTS output--check your owner's manual or just go by the onscreen display in the player's setup menu. Also keep in mind that for DTS dvds, you must select the DTS track in the dvd's setup menu--they all default to DD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks