What's new

DTS decoding...and what are the differences between that and DD?? (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Okay, this is part 2 of my tech questions. My current DVD player is DTS capable,but it doesn't have a built-in decoder. I was thinking about getting a better player,and these are my questions...
If I did get a DVD player with a built-in DTS decoder, would I still need to have a DTS capable receiver? I currently own a Kenwood 1090-VR, which I love and works fine for me...but it doesn't have DTS. Would I still be able to my receiver if I did get a DVD player with DTS built in?
And lastly, I would like to know how DTS is different from Dolby Digital 5.1, & what can I expect to hear if I did get a DTS setup?
Thanks again for any help that you can give me :)
Calvin
------------------
"Don't make me angry....You wouldn't like me when I'm angry......"

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: And lastly, I would like to know how DTS is different from Dolby Digital 5.1, & what can I expect to hear if I did get a DTS setup?[/quote] You may not realize it, but you just opened a big rotten can of worms. No other topic has generated the volume of debate and commentary that this one has.
The short answer is that DTS and DD are two different ways of encoding multi-channel digital sound. Opinions vary from "they sound the same" to "DTS blows away DD" -- and all variations in between.
quote: If I did get a DVD player with a built-in DTS decoder, would I still need to have a DTS capable receiver? [/quote] No, but you're severely limiting your choice of players. Most players don't include DTS decoding. Also, does your receiver have six separate line inputs, one for each channel? That's how many cables you'd have to run from your DVD player to your receiver if you did the DTS decoding in the receiver.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 10, 2001 at 11:45 PM]

Martin G

Second Unit
The only real difference is that DD uses a 16:1 compression rate and DTS uses a 4:1 compression rate. Other then that they are just different systems of encoding sort of like different computer programing languages.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks