What's new

DTS decoder in a DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I wasn't sure whether to post this either here,over in the hardware section,so if it needs to be moved,admins,feel free :)
Anyways, I'm finally going to start to upgrade some of my HT components -1st being the DVD player,then my receiver. My question is this:
Some of the DVD players that I'm looking at have DD & DTS decoding chips built in. My current receiver is a older Kenwood VR-1090,which is DD only.
Would I have DTS though,if I bought one of those aforementioned DVD players,if I ran it through my player? And if so,do I just run it through the AC-3?
I'll be getting a receiver within the next 2-3 months with DTS capablity,so then this won't be an issue. I was just wondering if I'd be able to hear DTS now with my current receiver.
Thanks for any insight that you experts can provide!
Calvin

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Calvin,
If it has an onboard DTS decoder- it will decode the DTS signal internally and pass it out on 6 channel analog outputs. Your receiver must have a 6 channel input in order to accept the decoded DTS signal.
The player with the DTS decoder will not decode DTS into DolbyDigital- so you cannot pass the DTS signal digitally to your receiver via an AC-3 jack (this Jack is only for Dolby Digital signals).
Again- after the player decodes the DTS internally- it will supply you with the 6 channels of audio via analog jacks on the back of the player. If your receiver has a 6 channel input- then you can connect it that way.
See also:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...293#post563293
-V

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Thanks,Vince for the info!
It looks like I am going to get a receiver 1st after all...
Now I just have to figure out what I want.
Again, thanks for all of your help!
:)
Calvin

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks