What's new

"DTS Compatible"? (1 Viewer)

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
I was reading the specs on the Marantz SR7200 and it says this:
Dolby Digital® (AC-3)5.1/6.1, DTS® 5.1/6.1 Compatible , Dolby Pro Logic®, Pro Logic® II (Movie, Music)
What do they mean by compatible, exactly, as opposed to the other formats that don't say that?
Thanks,
~Matt

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
I believe it can't decode 6.1. Just look at the comparison feature on their website against higher models. If it can do 6.1 (DTS-ES Discrete) it will say so. This one doesn't say so. It's just their way to push their product by saying yes it can *play* all DTS DVDs.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Matt, what it means is that Marantz is using a matrix decoding technique that doesn't have the official DTS-ES seal of approval. This is most likely a licensing issue - i.e. they were not able to get the official license so they could say "DTS-ES Matrix decoding". It's compatible because , I believe, the algorithm for doing this type of decoding is pretty standardized. That receiver doesn't do DTS-ES Discrete, btw - just DTS-ES Matrix.

cheers,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks