DTS CD's ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Corrick, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

A friend had me play one of his DTS CD's through my system. (Junior Wells / Blues)
    To be honest I was not all that impressed by the DTS-CD mix. Bass - LFE.1 was overpowering, Minimal use of rear to add to sense of depth or placement within the sound field. Since I have not had the opportunity to demo multi channel SACD or DVD-A I wonder if any of you folks might be able to give some comparison between these formats. ( DTS-CD -vs- SACD/DVD-A )

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    If you ask me DTS CD's or DTS 5.1 Music Discs, as they've come to call their product, is not a very good format. There is no stereo back-up track. Some of the mixes are horrible too. Thankfully my pre will downmix to stereo the DTS CD's. Edgar Winter's JASMINE NIGHTDREAMS, which I have, has a ridiculous mix.

The bottom line is DTS CD's are a single layer one trick pony. SACD and DVD-A allow soundtrack options and are much better IMO. I bought JASMINE NIGHTDREAMS because it's the only way it's available. If the mix is good, a big (?), DTS CD's sound good but it's not a flexible format....Best wishes!

3. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

If you're a purist who insists on a 2-channel mix, then you'll never really accept 5.1 surround discs. People are different. I happen to really enjoy a well-mixed 5.1 channel mix. DTS music discs came out well before dvd-a and SACD and there are some very good ones and not-so good ones. Please listen to Alan Parsons On Air for some really cool surround mixes with sound effects. Also, although DTS has dipped into the DVD-A waters, my friends over there have told me that the regular 5.1 music discs are not necessarily going away.
    A good 5.1 mix does not have to be surround-channel-gimmicky
    to be effective. Many 5.1 mixing engineers are still mainly concentrating on the front soundstage and using the surrounds for ambience.
    When you hear a guy like Graham Nash say that 5.1 is it kind of makes you think a little.

4. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I see DTS CDs as a nice little addition to the collection. For any DVD music title except classical, I have the CD so that I can listen to it in its stereo mix. The DTS CD provides a surround alternative.

The Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore and Steely Dan's Gaucho are my two favorite DTS CDs.

I was not impressed with the Santana DTS. I still have it because it's the only surround mix of that album, but the SACD is my favorite way to hear it.

I do wanna check out the Moody Blues and Sting discs. Any opinions?

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have a handful of DTS CDs and as with surround-sound DVD-Audio and SACD, I like them as a change of pace. The sound quality certainly doesn't match DVD-Audio or SACD, but some of the DTS CDs sound quite good. Examples include Eagles Hell Freezes Over, Don Henley End of the Innocence, and Steely Dan Gaucho. DTS CD certainly isn't my favorite format, but it isn't bad. Now I would like to see DTS Entertainment re-release these titles on DVD-Audio -- with discrete, high-resolution stereo tracks.

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

8. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

Mike,
    The two Moody DTS music discs will be the subject of a future review. Stay tuned!

9. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

10. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I have the DTS Moody Blues DOFP and the MFSL CD in stereo. For me, the DTS 5.1 mix (based on a 70's quad mix) was interesting, but did not enhance the quality of the recording any. I still enjoy the stereo version and the DTS version did not make me dump my MFSL version (which is a valuable collector's item now).

I have also Seventh Sojourn DTS, which sonically sounds better than DOFP DTS, but then again DOFP is a 1967 recording remixed in 1974(?) for quad.
    Seventh is a 1973 recording, they may have had better multi-tracks by then.

11. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

And, if you read the book INTERVIEWS WITH ICONS: Flashing On The Sixties By Lisa Law you'll find Graham was also known to find heroin, PCP laced marijuana, and animal tranquilizers and homemade LSD to be pretty enjoyable as well. In fact, had you asked him at the time, I imagine he would have offered the same assessment that they were "Pretty f@##'n cool"
    It kinda makes you think a little. [​IMG]
    -Vince

13. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Greg
    I checked the bitrate on my DTS cd and DVD-A [Dts track],and they both read 1509kbps,what we call "full bit rate here on the forum.[some early DVD's[film] were released at that rate as well, so they both clock at 3:1 compression rate.

14. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Hi Lewis,
    When you checked the data rate on your DTS CD, are you SURE it was not a DTS+MLP DVD-A disc? The reason I ask is DTS CDs have a max potential bit rate of 1,411 kb/s per redbook PCM CD standards. The following is reprinted from the DTS website: http://www.dtsonline.com/history8.pdf
    Regarding LD and Compact Disc DTS bit rates:

15. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Greg thanks for the "legwork" on this.
    Yes I was checking on a DVD-A's DTS layer by accident.
    On a DTS CD I can't even make the player show me the data rate.
    Of course even without that your explanation makes perfect sense,and I should have educated myself better before I "open my mouth",and say something quiet wrong.
    Thanks again!