What's new

DTS CDs (1 Viewer)

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
Will DTS CDs play 5.1 in a "regular" HT system, i.e., DD/DTS receiver connected to a DVD player via coaxial cable?

I did a search; the response I found at Hometheaterhifi.com had much to say on DD and DTS, but did not address the question.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Yes, a DTS CD should play fine using a CD/DVD player connected digitally to a DTS processor. I have heard of the occasional exception with some DVD players (why it doesn't work I have no idea), but these are the exception, not the rule.

Adam

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The only exceptions I have heard of are from 1st generation DVD players that were not capable of passing the DTS signal.
First-generation players will play DTS CDs, just not DVDs. The encoding for DTS CDs looks like PCM to the player; so any player that can read a standard CD should also be able to read a DTS CD. I play DTS CDs all the time in a first-generation Sony 7000.
M.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Every CD and DVD player (regardless of generation) with a digital output should be able to play DTS CDs. I have however come across the occasional DVD player that couldn't output DTS from CD (a JVC and a Webtronic). Why they couldn't output the DTS information correctly is anyone's guess.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks