dts CD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Arnette, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Hi all.

I am new to the Music Area section of the Home Theater Forum, so please excuse me for being so uninformed on the subject of high-quality music media such as DVD-A and SACD.

I have recently purchased a Pioneer DV-47Ai, which will let me play the above formats, however, in reading the manual that came with my player I noticed there is an audio option that deals with what appears to be a setting for CD. I assume it means your everyday, run-of-the-mill CD and not DVD-A or SACD.

Essentially, it appears there is an option for PCM and one that is optimized for what they refer to as "dts CD". I had never heard of the term "dts CD", and I immediately wondered if they were referring to DVD-A encoded in dts (e.g. Queen: A Night at the Opera) as opposed to DVD-A encoded in DD (e.g. Alice Cooper: Welcome to My Nightmare)? This assumption is, admittedly, based on a limited understanding of high-quality music media.

Are there "regular" CDs encoded in dts that are not DVD-A or SACD? If so, is this, most likely, what they are referring to? If so, I imagine I will leave my setting on PCM, as I do not own any of these types of CDs.

Thanks.

2. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Yes, there are CDs available that have a DTS signal encoded in the PCM stream. Every CD player can be used to play these, as long as it has a digital out connected to a DTS capable amp/receiver.

Do not try to play them on any other system, the noise at higher volumes could destroy speakers.

And Paul, you might want to use the Search function first next time [​IMG].

-Christian

3. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Paul: Yep, that search engine can be TOO helpful sometimes!! [​IMG]

Just out of curiosity, what does that Pioneer do when it "optimizes" DTS CD's? The only problem I've heard of when playing DTS-encoded CD's is that nasty hissing noise emanating from the player's analog outputs--does the player possibly disable these when it senses a DTS CD? That would be a nice feature.

Thanks.

LJ

5. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Although perhaps off-topic, slightly, I must state that it is too bad these dts CDs never took off, they were (and are, actually) an excellent way of being able to listen to (reasonably) high quality audio on a normal system.

I highly recommend the Titanic soundtrack in dts, it really sounds amazing!

6. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator