What's new

dts CD question (1 Viewer)

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Just how good are the dts 5.1 surround cds? How do they compare to DVD-A and SACD? I'm interested in The Police greatest hits, any comments?

Michael_T

Second Unit
The DTS CDs are, obviously, encoded with a lossy compression scheme (DTS). They can sound very good, but I have not found any that sound as good as either DVD-A or SACD (both of which are encoded with lossless compression schemes).

I have both the DTS CD and SACD of the Police Greatest Hits, where the SACD has the same surround track as the DTS CD, and the SACD is far superior in sound quality from my comparisons.

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
I actually prefer the mix on the dts CD. The DTS cd's are not as good as sacd or dvd-a but better quality then cd's in general and they usually have good 5.1 mixes. Don't hesitate to pick them up.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I bought the Police 'Every Breath You Take' DVD-Video for that reason. The DTS tracks.

I just play the DVD with the video off and the DTS track on.

Some tracks are missing on the DVD-Video, but the price is usually cheaper.

SQ is good considering the vintage of the master tapes.

Try Queen - Greatest Video Hits DVD-Video. That DTS track is amazing ! I can't vote for the video end of it, I haven't watched it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks