dts capable - yet no dts?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Christopher_RS, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Christopher_RS

Christopher_RS Auditioning

Hey all,

This is probably my first post on this board but I've used this forum as a source of information for quite some time.

I've just completed my mid-range/newbie home theater including a 47" Panasonic HDTV and a Sony 600 Watt 6.1/dts/Dolby Digital receiver.

Both the receiver and my Sony DVD player are capable of decoding dts (big symbols on the front of each component, plus I bought the components partly b/c of the dts capability). Today I purchased the "dts Special Edition" of Saving Private Ryan. I selected dts audio and yet, for some reason, both the DVD player and the receiver are not registering the dts sound. Both components display the decoding at just 2.0/Dolby Surround. I just about flipped. My receiver plays Dolby Digital tracks just fine. The multi-channel "light" comes on and the display shows that Dolby Digital is being decoded properly. But not so with dts.

At first I thought the dts would kick in once the film actually started but to no avail. Come to think of it, if I had been paying better attention in the recent past, I can't think of a single DVD title own (with dts) that has played the dts track properly.

Audio wise I'm using Monster Digital Coaxial cable between my DVD player and receiver. I'm quite confused here b/c both components are dts capable. Perhaps I'm missing a certain audio connection? Maybe a setting on the receiver that I have yet to find?

Any ideas/suggestions? I'd really appreciate any input.

Thank you very much.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  3. Christopher_RS

Christopher_RS Auditioning

Thank you...the DTS setting on the DVD player menu was set to OFF. Meanwhile, the Omaha Beach scene from DTS version of Saving Private Ryan is incredible. My subwoofer was shaking my entire basement.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    [​IMG] Love that scene. Check out from one scene before "Alamo" also. [​IMG]