DTS Audio Recordings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Sooy, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Josh Sooy

Josh Sooy Auditioning

I just got my new home theatre system hooked up.

Onkyo DS595

JBL NSP1

Sony Sub

Very happy with the setup. I am looking for some cds to play with the system with.

I would love to find a DTS encoded cds of a thunderstorm with rain and lightening and all that stuff. Plus it would be really cool to have a cd that had scarry sounds comming from all the different chanels... sorta like you are in a horror movie with something stalking you.

Any ideas as to where I coudl find this stuff.. Or any suggestions on what cds to get.

Thanks a ton, Josh

2. Josh Sooy

Josh Sooy Auditioning

No suggestions? Common somebodys gotta know what I am looking for......

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The only DTS CD I've ever seen that had sound effects is "The Big Picture" from Telarc. It had instrumental excerpts from various films, interspersed with sound effects. I recall a rocket lift-off to go with Apollo 13, and I'm pretty sure there was some sort of storm to accompany Twister. I haven't seen it for a long time; it may not still be available.

M.

4. Josh Sooy

Josh Sooy Auditioning

I actually have a copy of that cd. Thats what got me interested in tracking down some other cds that were in DTS.

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

There is also a two disc sound effects DTS CD set from High Definition Surround (the late Brad Miller's DTS CD line, and Miller Nevada Inc. was the manufacturer of many of the DTS CDs out there) under the name "Movie Tracks," which I have.

You must be warned, however, that these are not simulated or dynamically compressed (auditorium speaker friendly) movie soundtrack sounds, but actual 4 and 5 spacial-microphone array, live digital recordings at full dynamic range and volume. At certain levels you are assured of serious damage to your equipment and speakers (or destruction).

Some are downright scary and you only wish some movie soundtrack engineers could create digital surround soundfields this convincing.

FYI

Dan

6. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Ummmm, The Eagles have their Hell Freezes Over on DTS!! Sounds incredible!!

7. Michael St. Clair

There is a disc called 'Steel Rails Under Thundering Skies', basically train recordings. Might be hard to find.