What's new

DTS and S/PDIF problems (1 Viewer)

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, long ago I got DTS .VOB files to function on this computer... but now that I have a DVD-ROM it seems I can't play DTS DVDs or .VOB files... they run very slowly and skip and the audio comes in sparadically.
What has stayed the same in my computer: 600Mhz Duron 256MB PC-100 RAM, Radeon VE
What has changed: Used to have a Hoontech S/PDIF card... now I'm using an Audigy (Platinum)... and I've also gone from Win 98SE to XP...
The other problem is that even on Dolby Digital titles my S/PDIF seems to skip or stutter and drop out occasionally... this is totally unacceptable.
Anyone have any ideas on these problems? I'm about to place an order for my Sony HS-10 projector (:D) and would like to be able to use my computer as a HTPC instead of using my JVC progressive scan DVD player, but if I can't resolve these issues, then all the improvement in picture quality in the world won't make a difference... :frowning:

Matt Weyen

Stunt Coordinator
For one, your pc is probably a little on the slow side for windows xp. XP demands MUCH more ram than other os's. If you upgrade to more ram and possibly a new processor, everything will work fine with xp. I have a duron 800 with 256mb of 100mhz ram in my machine running xp and I kinda get the same problem every once in a while. To fix the problem, I stop the movie at about 6 seconds in or so and restart it. Couldn't tell you why that fixes it, but it does. I would suggest going back to 98 or upgrading you machine a bit, a duron 1ghz sells for dirt cheap on www.pricewatch.com. Hope this helps.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
I had suspected as much...ahhh but XP is so stable :D
I'll probably go back to 98SE until i can afford to go full-on athlon xp/kt333/pc2700 or something similar...
Edit: Considering ordering an HS-10 turns out to be a HORRIBLE NIGHTMARE to get it from a US dealer with a return policy, I'm better off just switching back to 98SE for the time being anyway... gotta do something while I wait for that thing to come in stock somewhere :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks