DTS and dvd players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis_B, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Travis_B

Travis_B Auditioning

I have a question that I thought would be simple but I cannot find the answer. I have an RCA 5220p dvd player and a Sony str-de635 receiver, I know its old. I was playing around in the menu the other day and voila I all the sudden have DTS for my movies.

Now, Here comes the tricky part for me. My receiver doesn't have a DTS logo on it at all, and after checking doesn't have dts decoder, And my dvd player has the dts digital out logo on it. Well I have went to the dts website and it says that logo means dts bitstream out and no decoder.(I think). Btw, I have it hooked up only thru digital optical. I thought you if the dvd player had a decoder and receiver didn't that you would have to hook it up thru the 5.1 ch inputs.

The reason I am asking is because I was looking for a new dvd player (to play svcd & mp3) but I do not want to loose my dts or buy a new receiver. How do I tell which Dvd players have what I need?

Thanks,

Travis

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm not familiar with your receiver, but if it doesn't have DTS decoding and your only connection is optical digital, then you are not getting DTS. Sorry.

If you don't want to buy a new receiver, then you need to look for a player with a built-in DTS decoder, which you will then connect to the receiver through 6 separate analog connections (plus a digital connection for Dolby Digital).

M.

3. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

I you have a dvd player with built-in decoding for DTS and DD, you don't need the digital cable. It will pass both through the analog out's.

4. Travis_B

Travis_B Auditioning

Well, initially I didn't get DTS. In the menu for the dvd I selected dts out, the blue light on my receiver came on and on the display it said dts 3/2, and then the dts backlight came on. This was the first time dts has ever shown up. Normally I just run dd 5.1, I was watching gladiator and I decided to switch it to dts. At first I got nothing but after I changed the menu...voila.

After checking the specs on my receiver it does not have a dts decoder, and I am only connected thru the toslink.

How do I know for sure if the dvd has a decoder so I can figure out which one is lying?

Also, there was a huge difference in sound between the dd and dts tracks on gladiator, so I am sure it was dts I just don't know how.

Travis

5. Michael Reuben

Your description makes no sense. If you receiver does not have a DTS decoder, why would it have an indicator that lights up saying "DTS 3/2"?

6. Travis_B

Travis_B Auditioning

Actually, the dts 3/2 is the text written across the display. But there is a light thats lights up the letters DTS.

As far as the huge difference with gladiator...the bass was stronger, the sound was more crisp and detailed, and the surrounds just sounded more.(compared to DD 5.1)

Travis

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Maybe you got a higher-up model receiver inside than what it was labeled as on the outside? The text display shouldn't display "dts" unless it's actually getting a DTS signal. My parents have a Dolby-only Sony receiver and the display does have a "DTS" indicator visible if you look at the display under bright light, but if you give it a DTS signal the display says "UNLOCK" and you get no sound. Most similar models looks the same inside, but have a few extra chips in the higher models.

8. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

Are you sure your receiver is a 635? If you are getting decoding for DTS, then its not a 635, plain and simple. Something is amiss, here.

Cheers

Andrew B.

9. Travis_B

Travis_B Auditioning

I thought something was kinda screwy. I just checked the box, manual, and receiver and they all say str-de635. I know the receiver is not supposed to have DTS. I just thought that the DVD player was sending the signal thru the toslink. Since that isn't possible I don't know what to think. But, I am definately getting DTS.

Travis

10. Michael Reuben

11. Travis_B

Travis_B Auditioning

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Wow- it wouldn't say "DTS" on the display like that if it wasn't getting it. (The blue light is cool-looking, but I had to put a piece of black tape over mine because it was just too distracting when watching a movie [​IMG] )

13. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Travis, your receiver does indeed appear to have a DTS decoder built in. My older Sony DB830 has the same display when receiving the DTS bitstream. Very strange, as your receiver is not supposed to have a DTS decoder built in. Maybe Sony let a model slip out with DTS enabled.

J

14. Travis_B

Travis_B Auditioning

That was kinda the conclusion I was coming to. It is strange that the receiver has the DTS decoder when sony says that it doesn't. Their mistake my gain. I had just always thought that the DVD player was doing it.

The blue light is cool....I've always liked that. Thanks for all the help.

Travis