DTS and Dolby Digital Demo on Suspiria disc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I recall that a while ago there was a complaint, that although on all DTS mixes, you get one of a number of intro animations that demonstarte the awesome advantage of 5.1 surround sound, you never got a Dolby equivalent. For the first time, watching Suspiria yesterday, I noticed that Dolby has included a really cool logo/demo before the film if you start by selecting the DD mix on the sound selection page. Pretty cool. I bet the folks at Anchor Bay say that previous post!
    As an extra foot-note, I really enjoyed Suspiria, which I had never seen before, the sense of style and atmosphere was breathtaking. The only thing that marred my enjoyment, though I realise it is a facet of all Italian horror films was the impossibly cheesy acting - not all actresses, but most, could barely even speak their lines! Otherwise cool filck!

2. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Is this on both versions? I only ordered the single disc, never having seen the film.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Jay and Silent Bob in
    CLERKS

3. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I have not heard the DTS version as I do not have a DTS set-up. But comparing the 5.1 mix to the 2.0 surround, I found that not only does the 2.0 track sound more like the original mix but just flat out sounds a lot better. The 5.1 track seemed kind of empty sounding to me.
    A/B comparison with the Image laserdisc clearly showed the dvd has deeper richer colors and much finer detail. Also I noticed for the first time that the LD has a slightly vertically squished down look it, that is gone on the AB dvd, which looks more natural. However I did notice that the dvd has a tad bit of picture information lopped off the right side of the screen. On my 32" screen we are only talking about 1/4th of an inch, so it's no big deal but something I just thought would be worth mentioning.
    All in all this set gets a huge [​IMG]
    I still hang onto my LD however as it is signed by Dario [​IMG]

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

There's one for DD on Opera also.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."