DTS and DD DVD Movie Releases

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Marc*F, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

Are there actual different releases of new DVDs that may have had only Dolby Digital and are then released with DTS or better quality? Or generally once a DVD is released that is what it comes as?

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Hi Marc,

As with most things related to DVD releases, there's no standard procedure.

Columbia/Tristar will usually put out a standard DD version, then follow up a while later with one of their SuperBit versions that is supposed to include superior picture quality and also includes DTS.

The only recent title released on separate DD and DTS versions simultaneously was "Road to Perdition." Universal and Dreamworks did a number of dual releases in 1999, but seem to have ceased this practice. Those studios now generally put DTS and DD on the same disc.

Other studios sometimes release later editions with DTS. I believe "X-Men 1.5" has DTS, where the original did not. The special extended editions of the "Lord of the Rings" films have DTS, but the theatrical versions released first only have DD.

But this isn't always the case, as lots of fans were disappointed when the 3-disc special edition of "Black Hawk Down" did not include DTS.

So, there really isn't any rhyme or reason. It's just the whim of the studio. And if it's a Warner film, it will never be released in DTS. They released five titles with DTS in 1999, but have recently indicated they have no intention of supporting DTS in the future.

3. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

Thanks exactly what i wanted to know.

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Wasn't Galaxy Quest like this? Seperate DD and DTS versions, simultaneously released?

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

12 Monkeys was also separate releases. They appear to be re-releasing it next month - still separate versions, unless the online retailers have it wrong.
    Ciao.
    Doug

7. Michael Reuben

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

What I find interesting is how some (particularly Universal) DTS titles have different video quality than the DD versions. For example, Apollo 13 (someone posted pics in a previous thread some time ago). The DTS version is noticable softer. I have heard Waterworld, as well.

9. Sean Conklin

I have seen both Galaxy Quests and the video transfers seem similar.

I am wondering about the DTS version of Men in Black. I am almost positive there was a DTS release, but I cannot find it anymore.

10. Sean Conklin

11. Sean Conklin

12. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

13. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

The Haunting was a pretty notable dual release. I believe the DTS version followed the Dolby by over a year. When it was finally released, it completely plowed the Dolby version away, to the point where my local Best Buy only has the DTS prints. It's usually the other way around.

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

15. Michael Reuben

16. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

17. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

In a perfect world they would go back to dual releases, and just limit the number of any movie released on DVD with DTS, just for us HT enthusiasts who prefer the higher fidelity of superior DTS sound. [​IMG]

18. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

Having full bitrate DTS doesn't mean compromising video quality if the video material is properly encoded. Full bitrate DTS tracks still appear in Japanese releases and their transfers are often stunning. I have a copy of Black Hawk Down that I imported from Japan, which has full bitrate DTS and video quality superior to the original Dolby Digital version released here in the States.