What's new

DTS Acquires Lowry Digital Images (1 Viewer)

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
As I said earlier, DTS is mandatory for the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players, but not for the discs. I haven't seen any specs indicating minimum requirements for content encoding on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
for a minute there I thought this thread was about Lowry Digital Images being aquired by DTS.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm worried that this will compromise the quality of Lowry's work. When it was a private enterprise, John Lowry could focus on quality first and foremost. Will that still be the case with corporate earnings requirements?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Maybe Lowry will move to the next level as a result of more financial backing? We'll just have to wait and see. I honestly don't think we'll really see much change. You might see more Lowry restorations with a DTS soundtrack, but even then that may still be at the studios discretion.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Mistakes like the ones on Star Wars automatically disqualify it from the "excellent" category.

This acquisition now means that Spielberg owns a portion of Lowry Digital.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I believe it is mandatory for HD-DVD as well as BRD to have core DTS technology. It would make sense to be compatible with pretty much every surround decoder. For so many years now, everything from home theater in a box to high-end processors have had DTS.

Using DTS-HD extention files makes sense for lossless operation. In theory, if DTS lossless and MLP lossless are indeed lossless technologies for the source and don't offer a sonic signature of their own, then it DOESN'T make sense to me to add MLP as a mandatory lossless audio technology. Why introduce a third audio stream? Why have EVERY PERSON upgrade to a new surround processor/reciever/HTiB just to get Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP)? That is a waste of space on disc as well as a hassle for upgrades. Not to mention changing digital outputs as well - there's now way MLP will come out of a S/PDIF connection - it just can't transmit that much data, thus leaving the listener with only Dolby Digital (if no DTS was included on the disc). If DTS is included on the disc (as it seems it's going to be), it seems it will be at 1509kbps - the max for current DVD with S/PDIF. This is a much better sounding option than 448kbps Dolby Digital. The current HDMI v1.1 isn't stable enough yet for full resolution lossless 5.1 (and whatever else they plan to pipe down it) which is why we haven't seen it as a digital interface yet for DVD-Audio on players and processors.

Consumers have not been jumping all over MLP for DVD-Audio. Most haven't even heard of MLP. After all of these years, DTS is much more of a household name and it's associated by most as high-quality. I think the new HD-DVD/BRD formats should ride on DTS's name for HD-Audio.

As far as DTS aquiring Lowry Digital - good for them. It was an excellent move. It keeps them in the position of delivering the highest quality possible to the consumer. It's great to have a name associated with that. I don't understand how some consumers seem to be so against a position like that.

-Mike-

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I was only referring to the quality of the mix, totally ignoring the sound editing differences between it and past versions. The clarity and use of 5.1 EX sound is superb. Now, as for the editing flaws (which may or may not be intentional), that's something different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks