Dts 96/24

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James_SCEA, Nov 13, 2003.

1. James_SCEA

James_SCEA Agent

Hello All,

I recently found out that I have the upgraded version of the Marantz SR8200 (Basically the 8300). I'm a bit confused as to what DTS 96/24 is. I know that it is a higher sampling rate, but does the actual title have to be in that specific format to work? I looked on the DTS website and ran a search for all 96/24 titles and I only found one from Queen. So I would figure that there are more titles with this "superior" DTS format.

Is there a way to test my new DTS decoding on my receiver with any other discs other than Queen? Is this mainly a "future proof" DTS decoding format?

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx!
    JC [​IMG]

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Yes, the title must support DTS 96/24. Here is how it works. DTS has a full bandwith of 1500kbps. 96/24 uses the first 1126kbps to record a standard 48khz DTS track that any DTS decoder can read. The the additional data to reach 96/24 is compressed and encoded into the remaining 374kbps. A DTS 96/24 decoder will then mix that back into the standard DTS track to produce the high resolution sound. The nice thing about the format is that any DVD Video player that can output DTS can play the disc because it thinks it is a regular DTS track. And, any regular DTS decoder (non 96/24) will just ignore the last 374 kbps and play the standard resolution DTS track. Add in the ability for full motion video. So theoretically, DVD movies could use the format, but full bitrate DTS takes up a lot of room on the disc. (Almost all DTS DVDs use half-bitrare DTS running at 748kbps leaving room for extras).

There are very few DTS 96/24 DVDs out there. I have the Queen album and it sound great, and you can watch the music video at the same time.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

The DTS site is lame in that regard. I did the same search you did, and did find 3 titles, 2 by Queen, and another that I don't recall.

The other titles I found that do have 96/24 DTS are all DVD-A discs from DTS music. If you go to the DTS Music site, you will find that there are several titles.

On the discs in question, the DTS tracks on the DVD-V layer are in 96/24. But, it appears that this is backwards compatible if you have a player or receiver that handles normal DTS. I don't think either of my players (Pio 45A and Denon 1600) nor my receiver (NAD 762) handle 96/24 DTS.

The only title I own with 96/24 DTS is Queen's ANATO. But, since I already have a DVD-A, there is no point to DTS 96/24, right?

If I did not already have DVD-A/SACD capability, I would spend some money on that, rather than a device that could deal with 96/24 DTS.

BGL

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

An interesting side effect of this,that a non 96/24 "ready" but DTS ES decoder gets to be tricked that these titles are ES Discrete,but in fact it isn't.The higher sampling rate part is piggybacking the core data just like with ES and the decoder get tricked by this,and "thinks" it's an ES track.

5. Robert AG

Robert AG Stunt Coordinator

DTS is still a lossy format, and no marketing song and dance will ever change that. The only 24/96 that is lossless is on DVD-A discs. DTS should be shot for implying that their format is as good as real loseless 24/96 PCM as they seem to do with the "24/96" part of their marketing garbage.

6. James_SCEA

James_SCEA Agent

Thanks for all of the helpfull info guys. Hey Robert AG, how can they say that it is 96/24 if it really isn't? Isn't that false advertising? I know it can't really compare to dvd audio or the technology behind it(MLP or Meridian Lossless Packing), but then again I've never heard it.

Have any of you guys actually had the chance to audition this format in comparison to DVD audio?

Thanx
    JC[​IMG]

7. Robert AG

Robert AG Stunt Coordinator

8. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I had DTS 96/24 for a while before I had DVD-A/SACD. I did feel it was a slight improvement over regular DTS. But SACD and DVD-A still smokes it. You're just more there.

BTW, DTS 96/24 can be output by any DTS capable player. It just takes a 96/24 DTS decoder to make it all work.

Lewis is right. Some non-DTS 96/24 decoders think a 96/24 disc is DTS-ES. My friend's Sony 5ES does...