dts 96/24 decoding for dvd videos?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasTR, Jan 22, 2003.

1. ThomasTR

ThomasTR Auditioning

My new reciever has decoding for Dts 96/24, can someone explain what this is? What i really want to know is what dvds are capable of this. Oh, by the way, this is my first post. Hello everyone!

2. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

right now i dont know of any movie dvds thgat have 96/24 dts. there may be a few. this is mostly being used for dts music at the present time.

3. ThomasTR

ThomasTR Auditioning

Thanks, Don. It seems like theres an alot of formats out there for DvD. Is it like Dts es,a stand alone format, or will it work with a dvd that has Dts Es, or Dts? How are Dts cds?

4. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

your receiver will decode all forms of dts. if a dvd were to have 96/24 dts it would also have 48/24 dts for backward compatibility. i personally like dts-cds.

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I'm no expert (on anything!) but DTS 96/24 is DTS's version of high resolution audio (comparing (in DTS's eyes) to SACD or DVD-Audio.)

2 DTS 96/24 discs that are out are the Queen's A Night at the Opera and Queen's Greatest Video Hits 1. Both are very impressive. I really hope that more DTS 96/24 titles are in the pipeline...

6. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

I don't think they can do DTS 96/24 Video DVD's as there is not enough room on a DVD to accomadate video and DTS 96/24 audio. This is likely just a audio DVD format only until the next gen DVD's come out with much higher storage capacity.

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

There's enough room, but I don't think anyone is making masters at 24/96.

DJ

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The compression ratio is actualy higher then the normal 20/24/48 currently being used,so it's "benefits" kinda go out of the window.The word oximoron comes to mind.

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

It's hard to say right now, Lewis, since there is very little available in that format for us to judge.

I am just guessing, but maybe the folks at DTS feel there is more gained during the D to A conversion by having the higher sampling rate than is lost by the additional compression.

DJ

10. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

On the DTS Demo #7 DVD, there is a small clip called "CHRONOS." Its a video presented in DTS 96/24.

11. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer