What's new

dts 96/24 decoding for dvd videos? (1 Viewer)

ThomasTR

Auditioning
My new reciever has decoding for Dts 96/24, can someone explain what this is? What i really want to know is what dvds are capable of this. Oh, by the way, this is my first post. Hello everyone!

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
right now i dont know of any movie dvds thgat have 96/24 dts. there may be a few. this is mostly being used for dts music at the present time.

ThomasTR

Auditioning
Thanks, Don. It seems like theres an alot of formats out there for DvD. Is it like Dts es,a stand alone format, or will it work with a dvd that has Dts Es, or Dts? How are Dts cds?

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
your receiver will decode all forms of dts. if a dvd were to have 96/24 dts it would also have 48/24 dts for backward compatibility. i personally like dts-cds.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I'm no expert (on anything!) but DTS 96/24 is DTS's version of high resolution audio (comparing (in DTS's eyes) to SACD or DVD-Audio.)

2 DTS 96/24 discs that are out are the Queen's A Night at the Opera and Queen's Greatest Video Hits 1. Both are very impressive. I really hope that more DTS 96/24 titles are in the pipeline...

SvenS

Second Unit
I don't think they can do DTS 96/24 Video DVD's as there is not enough room on a DVD to accomadate video and DTS 96/24 audio. This is likely just a audio DVD format only until the next gen DVD's come out with much higher storage capacity.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The compression ratio is actualy higher then the normal 20/24/48 currently being used,so it's "benefits" kinda go out of the window.The word oximoron comes to mind.

David Judah

Screenwriter
It's hard to say right now, Lewis, since there is very little available in that format for us to judge.

I am just guessing, but maybe the folks at DTS feel there is more gained during the D to A conversion by having the higher sampling rate than is lost by the additional compression.

DJ

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I don't think they can do DTS 96/24 Video DVD's as there is not enough room on a DVD to accomadate video and DTS 96/24 audio. This is likely just a audio DVD format only until the next gen DVD's come out with much higher storage capacity.
Conjecture is the root of much misinformation.
Go take a look at the list of dts software over at dtsonline, http://www.dtsonline.com/home/available.shtml . Specifically, check out http://www.dtsonline.com/home/dvdvideo.pdf , which on page 10 indicates that the region 2 Tomb Raider is in fact 96/24. Reading any review of this DVD will indicate the same. It has a 5.1 channel dts 96/24 track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks