DTS 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre Aguiar, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

Which do you guys prefer? If you popped a movie in and both audio setups were available which would you choose and what setting would you put your receiver at?

For me, I always choose DTS and set my Onkyo 797 at THX Cinema. If I choose Dolby Digital 5.1 then I set my receiver to Dolby Digital.

Anyone else?

Andre

2. Arnold van Oostrum

I have no experience with THX settings. But the choice for the DTS track or the DD track is not always obvious in favor for DTS. For every disc I check both and then decide which is my favorite. There is neither better of worse as difference between DTS and DD. In most cases the DTS has better resolution in the high region, but mostly the DD has a bigger impact in the lower region.

3. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

I always go with DTS. The dialog always seems better.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    DTS is always a higher bitrate than DD, at least all that I have seen so far. I'd say 8 times out of 10, the DTS track sounds better, the other two times, they are about the same.

When it comes to 1509K DTS vs 448K DD, there is no question, but even half bitrate DTS (754K) still typically sounds better than DD. A lot of it has to do with the mastering.

Do a search, this has been covered many times.

5. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

My favorite is DTS, is sounds clearer, sharper, and louder. I wish all DVD's came in DTS.

6. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I'd rather have all dvd's with dts as well. I got my Onkyo TX-DS 939 fitted with an MSB dts upgrade board. I prefer to listen to DD/DTS in THX mode.

To me, DTS sounds more like how it would sound in the theater!

7. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Eesh, If I have a pet peeve, it's probably that I hate how ppl automatically assume DTS is better just because it has a higher bitrate. Since it uses a completely different algorithm from DD, the fact that it has a higher bitrate is completely irrelevant. The easiest analogy that I can think of that people can comprehend would be file compression algorithms. Back when there were a ton of different programs (zip. lzh, arc, arj, rar, etc.) some were more efficient than others, and could result in significantly smaller filesizes. Did this mean you were missing information with it just because it was smaller? No, since once uncompressed, you had the same file. Each format merely used a different compression algorithm with some being more efficient than others.

Now I'm in no way advocating DD is better or anything, but just pointing out that don't blindly choose DTS because it has a higher bitrate. In fact, I'd almost wonder, since most DTS tracks these days are half bit-rate, this means that ideally it was actually designed for a higher bitrate. By halving the bit-rate, how likely is it that you are losing significant amounts of information?

I would agree with what John said in that a lot of the difference comes in the mastering. It is my belief that if you fed identical masters through a DD algorithm and a DTS algorithm, they wouldn't sound all that different. When doing comparisons, also beware that DTS tracks are often louder, which could prove deceptive. I know for a fact this is the case with Gladiator, and probably many others as well.

8. John Garcia

John

9. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

dolby noise reduction, dolby pro logic, ac-3, pro logic II, dolby digital ex, dolby schmolby.

dts is better...no question. more information = better sound, period. dts does a better job mixing, too. dts music videos are better than dolby, also.

when i rent a dvd at buttbuster, i bum when the soundtrack is dd only.

10. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

I don't know anything about bitrates, or stuff... but I always prefer the DTS tracks over DD. You can hear the difference especially with concert CDs that have DTS like the Dream cast concert of Les Miserables and Eagles Hell Freezes Over.

I also prefer the DTS tracks on:

Terminator 2
    Gladiator
    I am Sam (the soundtrack here sounded better than my "I am Sam" music CD!)

I guess the DTS decoder of my receiver is done well. :)

11. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

DD DTS
    Kevin

12. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

The first few times I watch a movie I choose the DTS track (after that I'll compare... Maybe...). If both tracks were equally attended to in their making, they'd be equally good (in all likelihood). The difference is (my guess) is that when there is a DTS track (less often) it exists because that is the one carefully made, and the DD is there because that's what more people can use. Did I use enough parentheses in that paragraph?!?!

13. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

people say DTS is better but id be very surprised if people could tell the difference in a blind test with both at the same volume. maybe a higher end system than mine can expose some deficiencies in DD that i just dont hear, but to me DD and DTS both sound the same.

14. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam

15. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

The assumption that DTS is nearly always better than DD might have had some validity a year ago. But now we've
    got DD soundtracks that definitely have more and clearer
    detail in them than the DTS tracks. A case in point;
    "Panic Room." People should now (IMO) take the time
    to review both if they are both on the same disk.
    In some cases, you can switch back and forth simply by
    hitting the "audio" button on your DVD player's hand
    control. This makes critical comparison's easy, especially
    if the two tracks have the same or nearly (within 2db) loudness levels. If they don't and DTS is much louder,
    then you'll have to change the levels before listening
    to each one.

16. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

richard: i have compared the 2 tracks on "panic room".
    dts....hands down more detail.

17. John Garcia

John
    I also compared the tracks on Panic room, and DTS still came out on top, so again, the debate continues...

18. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

No !!!! not another DTS vs Dolby Digital thread.The mummy returns is one of the best sounding Dolby Digital mixes I have heard.Would it really benefit from a DTS mix.I dont think it would.I do like DTS but Dolby Digital can sound spectacular.It just depends on the people at the mixing board when they re-mix the movie soundtrack for DVD.[​IMG]

19. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

Did I open a can of worms?

Maybe there should be a listing of movies with ratings in audio formats that are available on the discs now. Then again this could be subjective to anyone as everyones setup (receiver/speakers) are different.

For me my setup consists of:

Onkyo TX-DS797
    Toshiba SD3109
    JBL S38ii, S26ii, S-Centerii
    Toshiba 36" Supertube
    Bettercables (Silver Serpent component and digital coax)

If a movie has DTS I choose DTS and put my receiver at THX Cinema. If the movie only has Dolby Digital 5.1 then I choose DD setting on the receiver.

20. ArthurM

ArthurM Auditioning

Well, there is no argument.... I believe it's like this. Everyone's hearing is different to a degree. Sure we could talk about bit stream and dB level till our fingers bleed. But the truth is Your ear's do the listening. And if you like DTS loud or not, bit stream crowded or not. That is just the way it is....

It's ok to like Dolby Digital..... Me I like DTS, Loud is always good when Crystal Clear...

I think Dolby Digital is Beta And DTS is VHS... How's that for a dumb analogy....

Later Art..