DTS 24/96 software

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Chan, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

What discs, audio or video out there cuurently uses this format? Aside from a few DVD audio discs, I haven't seen any dvd video discs use this format yet... is dts 24/96 going to be a new standard for dts or is it just going to be used for dvd audio?

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Very hard to say, since 24/96 DTS would require the studios' mastering facilities to use full bitrate DTS again. It may happen on a few titles. We shall see. Some people I've read about on the AVS Forum who've heard the format first hand say it does seem to improve the sound in some way when a true 24/96 digital source is used for the encoding.

Dan

3. Markus Mathis

4. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Didn't Se7en has something like that one disc 2 or was that a PCM track?

5. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

The track on Se7en was a 24/96 2.0 track. The format Vince probably means is the new 24/96 5.1 format.

Some people seem to expect movies to get released in this new format. This is unlikely to happen any time soon. I don't know whether ANY movie soundtrack is available in 96kHz native rate. IF a movie gets announced to carry the 24/96 format, its probably upsampled from the original 48kHz masters, which would be a completely useless waste of time and more importantly: bits.

Music and concerts is the prime market for this format, and i think its going to have a VERY hard stand against the other new sheriffs.

I expect it to be the second format flop in a row from DTS after DTS 6.1 Discrete.

6. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

7. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I've got a couple questions here?

When we start seeing 24bit/96khz software hit the market, will our DTS decoders be able to play these soundtracks? If so, will they be decoding at full resolution or 16/44?

Also, whatever happened to the full-bitrate DTS releases? (I am assuming you mean the 1.5MB/s bitrate ones) What movies where released with the full blown DTS sound (I know it can't be that many)?

8. Jakob_S

Jakob_S Stunt Coordinator

9. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Too my knowledge, anything before Saving Private Ryan was full out DTS and every Warner DTS release execpt American Outlaws. There are quite a few full bit rate releases.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer