DTS 24/96 - Do you need a special player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rob Peloski, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Rob Peloski

Just a quick question. For DTS 24/96 playback, do you need a special DVD player? Or will any player that outputs DTS work provided your Receiver can accept the signal?

Any info is appreciated

Thanks

2. Chuck Kent

Rob: Your 2nd question is the right one...

If a disc is DTS 96/24 (such as Queen A Night at the Opera), my Denon 3803 receiver will auto recognize the DTS signal as 96/24 and play it accordingly. To my ears, it might be a tad better but not night and day. (And if your receiver/decoder can't do DTS 96/24, you just get regular DTS as usual.)

Now when I switch to DVD-A, that's a whole 'nuther step up...

3. Rob Peloski

Cool. I just switched from my Sony DVP-C670D DVD player to a Sony DVP-NC665P (wanted Progressive Scan and having DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, MP3 is a nice bonus)

So far I'm very happy with my new player. However I did notice that my old player could output PCM 24/96 via the SPDIF but my new one can't (it downsamples to 48KHz).

That part isn't a big deal (the only PCM 24/96 I have is jazz song on a calibration disc I hardly touch). But I was concerned that this player wouldn't work for DTS 24/96 when I get a new receiver (true it's not a huge difference, but if I have the capability I'd still like to be able to use it).

I'm not worried about SACD/DVD Audio...when I'm ready for that I'll get a seperate player for it or something.

Thanks