DTS 20 bit 5.1 music CDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kvit Lim, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Kvit Lim

Kvit Lim Agent

Hi gang,
    I have a question about these type of 20 bit cds. A Couple months ago I burned some of these onto CDR's (Sting Ten Summoner's Tales, Boyz II Men) and they play fine but with this process, do I lose some of the extra bits of surround data?
    e.g. 16 bit 44.1kHz is the Redbook standard of music CDs, so is it like down-converting from 20 bit --> 16 bit?
    Second, what does DIY stand for? [​IMG]
    I couldn't understand a word those DIY guys are saying in that elite section of theirs [​IMG]
    Kvit

2. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Kvit,

DIY it short for Do-It-Yourself. I often try to peek in there and try to inderstand what they are saying but then get very frightened and run.

I also made a CDR of Sheryl Crow DTS disc and noticed that the surround did not sound as strong. As can say much about all the techical nnumbers stuff though.

Jeff_P

3. Jaehoon Heo

Jaehoon Heo Stunt Coordinator

How did you make the copy? If you copied the CD bit to bit using your computer, the DTS bitstream were transferred exactly, and no downconversion would occur. It should be OK.

If you used Audio CD-R recorder, it depends on the output you used.

If you fed CD-R recorder with digital output directly from your CD/DVD player without DTS decoding, it should be OK, too.

If you used an output(either digital or analog) from the receiver or DTS decoder, entire center/surround audio and extra 4-bits of front L/R channels were lost.

If you made the right digital copy, but it doesn't sound right, it may be caused by increased jitter due to the CD-R's poor optical characteristic.

4. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Jaehoon,

When I made my copy it was on a computer disc for disc. I did notice a little less from the surrounds compared to the original.

Jeff_P

5. Jaehoon Heo

Jaehoon Heo Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jeff,

I cannot explain exactly why you get less surround level. I believe your method shouldn't have any problem, except the bad influence by jitter. Do you think some bit error might occur during the copy? What are your DVD/CD player and DTS decoding machine?