What's new

Dtheater (1 Viewer)

Ed*Wheaton

Agent
I was just surfing the net and came across a site:hometheaterspot.comwhere they did reviews on movies.Some were re-released in "Dtheater" U-571 to name one.Is this another name for superbit or is this another format altogether?As if they haven't found a way to make us buy enough "improved" copies of our fav. movies.

Thanks
Ed

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
It's a 1080i high definition digital VHS video tape that JVC launched in 1999, sort of a make do Hi-def for some people until a DVD equivalent comes along. Some in the industry say it's better than early demos shown of the future Hi-def DVDs, but I'm sure that won't be the case once they settle on a codec(s).

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

Why do you say that? From what I understand, the quality of DTheater movies is extremely good, due to a high bandwidth and large storage capacity that HD DVD may have trouble matching. The main complaint most people have is that it is a tape medium.

Lopez

Auditioning
That and the general unreliability (and high cost) of the decks themselves. Also, certain D*Theater movies are pretty mediocre in image quality while some are really great. Like any hi-resolution format the end result is only as good as the transfer they start from.

DVHS is a really convenient way to record HDTV. But not all DVHS decks will play back the pre-recorded D*Theater tapes.

A lot of people are down on DVHS because it's a tape format - I personally think it's kind of like laserdisc was in the '80's - if you want higher-quality pre-recorded movies than the industry standard format offers, it's currently the only game in town, but it's not for (nor is it meant for) everyone.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
At a projector expo this last weekend in Denver they used a D-Theater deck for some of their demo clips on the projectors.

The video looked noisier in comparison to the HD clips off of a HTPC via the DVI output. Also, there were numerous glitches and the user interface was clunky.

I wouldn't waste my money on D-VHS anything. It's too problematic for the costs involved.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks