DT Reference Supercube Vs. Earthquake Supernova 15

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Christopher_Ham, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

I am currently looking into upgrading to a new sub. I have a 1,000 Sq Ft living room and need a sub that will really dish out Db's. I had read that the earthquake supernova was rated "one of the loudest subs on earth". I am currently running all passive Def techs in my system so it needs to be a sub that will integrate with my BP's. I read a few advertisements for the DT supercube reference that is supposed to be able to put out the equivalent of three Supercube 1's. I am able to purchase either one for 1,100 $. What is the best deal? I am currently using a Atlantic Tech sub that I am going to daisy-chain with the new sub, so the new subs main job will be 40hz and down. Also in consideration is two SVS 16-46pci's. I heard that two of these sub for approx $1300 will blow you away in both Low end and volume. If you use two though, do you port tune them differently so you get both low end and volume?

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

3. Christopher_Ham

I talked to svs, and they also reccomende the 20-39 pc + for the same reason. Are the pb2's or the 20-39's a more potent combo?

4. Christopher_Ham

So basically, I really can forget the notion of sub 20 hz levels in my room because of the size/volume requirements?
    I appreciate your input.

5. Edward J M

It's not that you can "forget about" 22 Hz in an 8,000 ft3 room, I would choose the dual PB2-ISD for $1,800 or the dual PB2+ for $2,400. Since dual boxes would be packing four woofers and six 4" vents, they (ISD or Plus) will outgun dual Plus cylinders by a really large margin above 20 Hz.

If you go with the box PB2 sub, be aware that the PB2+ will have a 2-4 dB advantage over the PB2-ISD in any given state of tune and this advantage will hold true for a single or dual comparison.

FWIW, DefTech or Earthquake wouldn't even make my list in an 8,000 ft3 room if you are looking to shake things up.

Regards,

Ed

6. Christopher_Ham

Thanks, I really appreciate your input. I am leaning towards 2 16-39's mainly because I did a SPL reading of the average db rating for my normal listening level and it was 85 db's. My high db listening is 95-100db. I prefer lower levels because I get the sense of more subtle details in the soundtrack. 2 16-39's should be able to put out a low frq level and a 105db max, don't you think?
    Last question, is it best to port tune the subs at 16hz that way there I am getting the best of both worlds and most soundtracks really don't go much below 17hz?

Thanks alot,
    Chris

7. Edward J M

8. Christopher_Ham

Thanks Ed, your advice has been taken. I love this place, how cool is it to always have somebody near to talk about my favorite hobby!
    Chris

9. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

Christopher,

I have a basement HT that is close in size to your space.
    Of course your mileage may vary, but the numbers below are from my Ultra which uses the 2039 enclosure. As you can see, there is plenty of extension down to the 16 hz range. Below 16 Hz the sound rolls off quickly.

HZ db
    15.7 = 68.5
    16.8 = 75.5
    17.8 = 77.5
    18.8 = 77.5
    20.0 = 78.5
    21.1 = 77.5
    22.4 = 76.5
    23.7 = 76.0
    25.1 = 76.5

This isn't maximum output but the last portion of a 1/12 octave frequency plot where the starting output was 80Hz and 80 db. Measurements were taken at 15 feet from the sub.
    No ports were plugged.

Based on your listening levels, my amateur enthusiast recommendations for you would be to start with one sub and add another if you need more. One CSU gives me plenty of sound and I think either a 2039 CS plus or PC plus will be plenty for you. If you listen at 10 db below reference level with the sub level flat (read: not hot) then a PCi may be fine.

If you don't want to plug ports or you decide on a PCi, another approach to selecting an SVS sub would be to decide on the lowest usable frequency you want to hear / feel and then choose the sub that's tuned just above that frequency. For example if you desire a 12-14 hz range pick a 46. If you want a 16-18 hz range, pick a 39. If you want a 20-22 Hz, pick a 31. This method takes into account the little bit of usable output below the natural tune but before the woofer unloads too much and should provide great results at all but extreme spl levels.

10. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

11. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

having had the dual PC2039+ setup the subs were great. I have recently upgraded to the dual PB2+ setup. Now this is bas. The PB2+ comes very close to the performance of 2 PC2039s. tomV has led me to believe the PB2isd is extremely close to is bigger brother PB2+

I will be ordering the PB2 Ultras at the first possible moment and dumping off the PB2+ for about $200 less than what is posted on the site. So if you live near Central Ma and have an SUV or pickup you can save some cash and can wait until the end of October let me know.....

Scott

12. Christopher_Ham

I really appreciate all of your inputs. I am definitly going svs. it sounds like the bp2+ and the 2039+ are the favorites. What are the sonic differences.

Chris

13. Edward J M

14. Christopher_Ham

I have 12 ft ceilings, it is my game room also. I just need somthing that will give me moderate volume, with low range. I don't listen any louder than 90 - 95 db.

15. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

A 12,000ft^3 room is huge, I'd definitely recommend something like the PB2 Plus(or something higher) if you want high SPL.