DST3000 HD channel scan problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len S, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Len S

Len S Auditioning

I'm using a new DST3000 with NO dish.
    With the UHF antenna into ANTENNA IN and Cablevision cable into SAT IN, a channel scan yields OTA digital stations but NO cable digital stations. Reversing the inputs (Cablevision cable into ANTENNA IN and UHF into SAT IN), a channel scan yields the Cablevision
    digital stations (MSG, FOX sports, and HBO "HD") but NO UHF OTA digital stations.
    Why aren't all of the digital stations from both connected inputs detected regardless of which line goes to either input? Am I doing something wrong or is my unit defective?
    Help! Thanks.

2. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Len,
    Only one input can get OTA signals. You must set one input as Antenna and the other input as Cable. They both can not be set as Antenna at the same time.

3. GaryS

GaryS Agent

I think it can be done but you have to go into the setup menu and make the correct settings. I think you have to setup the sat input as diplexed (Sat/Antenna) and leave the OTA input as antenna. I would suggest posting this question in the HDTV section of www.avsforum.com. There are quite a few people there who use this receiver.

4. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

I've had the DST3000 for a month now. There is no option to set Sat as diplexed therefore the DST3000 can only look for a OTA signal from one input at a time.
    The only option you have is the trick Andy mentioned. But each time you scan I believe you loose the previous scanned list(atleast mine does, I tried it).
    Or you can connect both your antenna line and cable line to an A/B switch(less steps than changing in menu), switch it to the antenna input, connect it to one of the DST3000's input(Ant Input suggested) then scan Local 1 as Anntenna. Now you have all your analog and digital channels from your antenna listed.
    Now, when you want to watch a HD channel off cable just flip the A/B switch to the cable input and tune directly to the HD's UHF channel number(XX-X). You can get a remote controlled A/B switch from Radio Shack or HomeTech.com for $35 to $40.

5. Len S

Len S Auditioning

Gary, Daryl, Andy, and all
    Thanks for your suggestions for this pithy problem.
    My DST3000 only remembers the last scan and overwrites previous scans. I'll work on your suggestions and let you know how it works out.
    We have a great forum with great members, and I appreciate it.
    Toshiba was of ZERO help on this. One call to the satellite "support" number in back of the manual had the rep tell me to "call in a professional installer".
    The guy who put up my UHF antenna was a pro and he couldn't figure this problem out. The second Toshiba number to "customer service" had the rep tell me to send in the unit to Tennessee via UPS for "repair" as she was CLUELESS as to what my problem was. Not too encouraging.

6. Len S

Len S Auditioning

Gary, Andy, Daryl -->
    Andy's suggestion seems correct. Switching LOCAL 1 and LOCAL 2 from antenna to cable and vice versa seems to do the trick (I get 2 out of 3 cable HD signals...I think that the third is offline this Sunday morning). The trick is NOT to do a new scan after switching LOCAL inputs. Instead, just tune to the cable HD station you want (i.e. channel XX-X) after you've switched LOCAL inputs in the INSTALLATION menu.
    The info banner that pops up says "channel unavailable
    BUT it tunes in that cable HD channel anyway. When you're done viewing the cable HD channels, switch the LOCALs back the way they were.
    Way to go Andy.
    ------------------