DST3000 Failing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Wade, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Tom Wade

Tom Wade Auditioning

May 28, 1999
    Yesterday I got a total dropout of MSNBC on DirecTV. No picture, blippy, warbling sound. Complete dropout, with "searching for satellite" banner on bottom of the screen.

Other channels were OK. Problem was only with MSNBC. I have another receiver (Non-HDTV, Hughes) that did not have a problem. It runs 3 other sets in the house, and MSNBC was fine.

Checked the setup, and it was on transponder 32, with 0 signal strength.

Yes, I tried the hard reset, etc. No change.

This morning, MSNBC is back, but after about 2 hours, is starting to break up very badly. Once again, *only* MSNBC!

I don't know if other channels are also bad - I didn't check all of them. [​IMG]

I did talk to the DirecTV folk, and they tried to sell me a $90 service agreement, since I owned the box, not them. I declined.

Does this sound like a failing receiver? Where do I send this for repair? Turnaround times? (it's out of warranty, BTW)

Thanks for your help, folks!
  2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Jun 8, 2000
    I have the same receiver and have had the same problem. It began with just one of my HD channels coming and going. But after a month, all HD channels where gone. This a know issue with this receiver. The heat build up (due to not having an internal fan) is causing some of the units to fail.

My unit was still under warrenty when I called (the last day to be exact) so mine was replaced free of charge. Turn around time was 4 days. I am not sure how to get it repaired. You should call Toshiba and try to convince them into replacing it since it is know to occur on this model. If they won't, then they will be the ones to talk with about repair prices.

One thing you can try is positioning a computer case fan to blow across the top of the receiver. Some people have said that this has solved their problem. My knew receiver now has a fan blowing across it and I haven't had any problems since.