What's new

DST 3000 and RS Double-Bowtie Antenna (1 Viewer)

Matthias W

Auditioning
I received my Toshiba DST 3000 yesterday, and so far my experience has been hit or miss. The signal strength fluctuates wildly. Locking onto a signal seems highly improbable. I'm using the Radio Shack Double-Bowtie UHF antenna and a UHF signal amplifier (this seems to be the most popular setup here on the forum). The few seconds I caught of the Tonight Show last night were impressive, but I wish I could see more. I live in the Washington DC metro area, so there should be quite a few digital channels. I'd appreciate any suggestions or insights you might have. Thanks

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the double bowtie yesterday and I am getting between 79 and 85% on my signal meter with it stashed behind my tv set(ugly sucker) but I only have one ota at this time....I didnt even think about getting a signal booster. Im 140 miles from atlanta, is there any chance of getting an antenna to pull from that far away? what is the limits of the signal? seems to me so far that you either get a signal or you dont with no degradation in quality if you get it. is this true? Sorry, seems I have more questions than answers. Scott ps...using with dish 6000

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I got the DST3000 just today. The goodguys had it reserved just for me when I went to see if it had come. Anyway, I wonder how I should connect the antenna and cable at the same time. It looks that you can only have one connected at the same time. I hate to have to buy the antenna and an A/B switch. When I hooked cable I get a pretty bad picture. It is worse than the picture I get without the DST3000. It is OK by me since I know that AT&T will never deliever a good signal at all.
So my question is if I can fool the box by connnecting regular cable to the other connection in the back which seems to be for DirectTV or Dish? Any suggestions? I am lost here.
Thanks,
orestes.

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
Orestes,
You can use a regular antenna input for local HDTV channels. The satellite in can be used with a cable input by using a diplexor to mix the satellite and cable signals together.

Matthias W

Auditioning
I just wanted to post an update - I've been able to lock on to both ABC and PBS, although I have to move the antenna around the room. PBS continuously played an episode of Nova. It was great! I also watched Doctor Dolittle tonight on ABC, but the image appeared subpar (not as good as the DVD). I thought it was supposed to be broadcast in 720p. I'm hoping to lock on to both CBS and Fox, but so far I've been unsuccessful. I really wanted to see X-Files in widescreen and 480p or anything on CBS in 1080i. Has anyone else encountered any difficulties picking up these signals in the DC area? I managed to pick up NBC, but there's nothing really to watch except the Tonight Show. I wish I could find a sweet spot in the room, but I guess I'll have to be content with labeling different spots according to the stations I receive.

Michael_Sit

Auditioning
Orestes,
What part of SF do you live in ? Please share your experience in terms of signal strength and quality of the channels you're able to pull in as well as your tv and antenna setup.
Thanks.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Today, I got just the RS double-bowtie antenna, and I was able to pull just one channel 36-1 KICU-DT. It was also repeated on channel 52-2 digital (KICU). This only channel was able to pull 52% - 65% strength. I don't know why I cannot pull any of the national Networks like ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. I also saw channal 29 get almost 90% digital strength, but it was only when I was physicallly touching the antenna with my hand. I guess I became for that instance a human antenna.
The picture was 90% better than the same cable channel; however, even though I got a pretty good convergence through out my analog signal and DVDs, I found that while watching any channel using DST-3000 hooked to HD1 in my TW40X81, it shows some slipping in its convergence. I will not try to fix it, but I wonder if it need to have some adjustment while watching TV broacast through HD1.
I live near Van Ness and Geary in San Francisco. Just about 3 blocks way from the new AMC 1000 Van Ness Theaters.
I'd appreciate any help or comments.
Sincerely,
orestes.
P.S. I am happy to have at least this HDTV channel.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Orestes - I also have a Tosh set (TW65x81) I learned that the convergence settings are set differently at different scan rates. Regular OTA analog (480i) and DVD (480i and 480p) calibrated and memorized in the set's convergence memory. 1080i (HD) is set differently. Unfortunately, without a 1080i, you cannot see how far off the convergence until you see it in HD. Once you converge your 1080i preference, it won't affect your previous convergence settings for your dvd player and analog broadcasts.
I'm having better luck in San Mateo in terms of reception. My room really is a black hole. With my RS VHF and UHF amplified antenna (the one that looks like a long white strip)I can only get KTVU (FOX - barely), KNBC (NBC), KPIX (CBS), KGO (ABC) KBHK (UPN). Only ABC comes in with any clarity. The others have a lot of snow.
WIth the RS double bow tie, I can get 5 of the digital channels, but sometimes lose one or two channels.
I haven't tried my RCA RF Amplifier yet, but have to wait and see when a DST3000 becomes available.
Any idea who has a DST3000 in the Bay Area for $799 or less?
Elbert

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Elbert-I only know that you can order it from the goodguys, but not at that price. I paid $899.99 which actually the same as http://www.onecall.com/PID_10249.htm has it. I waited about a couple of week after I order it. So I don't think anyone has it in stock. You must have to "pre-order" it and sit and wait until you are told either to pick up if you order it from, say the goodguys, or you receive it at home or your office if you order it online. I hope this help. Thanks for your comments.
Yes, I already lost the only digital channel I was getting.
Sincerely,
orestes.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
FYI - I was not able to pull any digital channel today; however, I played around with the antenna, and raised it at an arm-length. Guess what! I was able to pull KICU 52-2 at about 89% strength. Now I wonder if I could find a 7 foot tall stand or a bit taller to place the RS double bow-tie antenna.
I am planning to walk around with the antenna to see what other channel I can pull, but I need to extend the wire of this antenna which is quite short. I may even connect it to a coax cable with the appropriate connectors so that I can move it around.
Thanks for all the inputs offered here. Thanks to everyone.
Sincerely,
orestes.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I tried improving my reception by adding more coax between my Dual Bowtie antenna and DST-3000 also. At first, it made things worse...I had to change the wire to a quad shield RG6 to avoid weakening the signal. It improved considerably. I have since then put the antenna in my attic and getting numerous(5) stations, albeit intermittently. I am so pumped by this--I am going for the Yagi now. I hope this helps dramatically.
------------------
My Equipment List My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
A YAGI is a type of antenna that typically goes on your roof with a generous boom length. I am putting it in my attic because I rent this house and can't really put it on my roof. I am assuming I will get the best reception for my limited situation with this setup.
------------------
My Equipment List My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks