DST-3000, and cable? I need help here!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by orestes, Feb 10, 2001.

1. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Just this afternoon, I went by the goodguys to find out whether or not my DST-3000 pre-order was already in stock. Well, guess what? It was there just for me. Then I took it home.
    Even though I was able to make it work by hooking to "cable" (I have not dish, DirectTV, and am not able to install any of these system). Anyway, my question is whether or not I can connnect this puppy to an indoor antenna (for instance, RS Double-Bowtie Antenna) without having to purchase an A/B switch to split cable and the indoor antenna connection.
    I'd appreciate any comments or hints anyone can offer me here since I am a bit lost. I am able to watch all the analogue cable channels, but the picture is even worse than that I see when I have my toshiba tw40x81 connected directly to "cable". Thanks in advance.
    Sincerely,
    orestes.

2. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Yes you can. The DST3000 has 2 F-type(coaxial/antenna) inputs. You can connect your cable line to one and your antenna line to the other(it doesn't have to be satellite). Now, in the menu set one as cable and the other as antenna. Remember though, both can not be set as antenna.
    If right now your trying to set your cable line as OTA antenna just to get HD signal transmitted by your cable company as an OTA/8VSB signal you will need to switch in the menu your antenna choice from one input to the other input manually each time you switch from one input to the other for reception.

3. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Thank. I got that, but while reading the manual one more time and before I buy the antenna, I would like to know if I really need a diplexer to connnect the antenna the satellite connection. Just as a reminder, I DO NOT have satellite. I just want to add an antenna to see if I can get some HD terrestrial signal. Thanks again.
    Sincerely,
    orestes.

4. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Nope, you do not need a diplexer if you are only connecting two sources, an OTA antenna and a CableTV line to the DST3000. [​IMG]
    A Diplexer is only needed when connecting 3 sources to the DST3000, OTA antenna, CableTV and Satellite at the same time. This allows CableTV on one input and Satellite/OTA antenna(diplexed) on the other input. Hope this is helpful.
    Examples
    Antenna and Cable = No Diplexer
    Antenna and Satellite = No Diplexer
    Cable and Satellite = No Diplexer
    Antenna and Cable and Satellite = Yes Diplexer

5. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Ok, I got the connections right! So tomorrow I mya buy a RS Double-Bowtie Antenna to see if I can get any HD stations. However, I do have a concern with this type of antenna since I know that it may not have the same type of connection as cable does. In the past, I connected UHF to a UHF screws in the back of my TV; however, the only connectors here are for COAX cable. Do I have to buy any kind of adaptor for this antenna?
    Another question, how do I set this antenna in the menus? Would I see the "digital" channel poping up when I do the channel "scan"? Should I be able to find these "digital" signals even if there is no broacast on HD until sometime in the evening? Thanks.
    Sincerely,
    orestes.

6. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

You should. Most HD broadcasters when not showing regular HD show either show an HD loop the rest of the time or upconvert their regular stuff to SD or HD format I believe.

7. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I didn't see this thread until a friend pointed it out to me today. Before that, I had tried diplexing my cable signal and OTA antenna signal and came up unsuccessful. the closest I got was getting one HD channel from Cablevision and one from OTA. I can usually rely on 6 stations regularly. I see an improvement in picture quality going from my RCA DTC-100 to the Toshiba DST-3000...but the inconvenience of having to switch inputs from a deeply-nested menu is really annoying. Besides putting an A/B switch between the two antennas, are there any other viable solutions?
    ------------------
    My Equipment List My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

8. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Michael Lee - Did you read Daryl L's post just above? So if you are just like me (cable/OTA antenna), I suggest to hook cable into the "IN FRONT" connector, and the antenna where satellite system should be hooked. Then go through the menus, and select "antenna" in your local area 2, and scan for signal. If you signal (digital) is strong enough (about 50% or above according to my own experience for a single channel) your scanning will find it or them. In my case, I found just the same station on different channels; that is, I found KICU on 36, 36-1, 36-2, and 52-2 underl local area 2 where my antenna is actually hooked. I hope this help.
    Sincerely,
    orestes.
    P.S. I only get this channel so far at a strength of 96 - 99% now.

9. Michael Lee

Orestes-
    I don't think that will work because the HD cable signal comes in as an OTA one. So as Daryl mentioned earlier, you cannot set both local areas to antenna. I think Daryl L said it accurately in his first response to this thread. Also, Orestes, you mention an "IN Front" connector. Do you mean the Antenna In F-type input? Maybe I am misinterpreting your advice.
    ------------------
    My LD Collection

10. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Michael Lee - I don't think I made myself clear. This is my connection, and it works:
    cable --> IN Front (local area 1)
    antenna --> Satellite (local area 2)
    When going thru the menus, I select local area 1 as starndard cable.
    When going thru the menus, I select local area 2 as antenna.
    Then I select, "scan", and that's all.
    The scan will find all my cable channels coming in local area 1 and everything else it can find in area 2.
    For instance,
    channel type of connection local area
    2 cable 1
    2 analog 2
    36 cable 1
    36 analog 2
    36-1 KICU-DT digital 2
    52-2 .... digital 2
    and so on
    Since I am not at home, I cannot remember the actual wording of the columns and whether it actually says "cable" or "cable TV" or just "analog" or "analog TV" or and so forth, but the pattern of the screen is similar to what I see and remember. I hope this will help. When I get home, I may post another note to make myself a bit clearer.
    Sincerely,
    orestes.

11. orestes

orestes Second Unit

sorry, but the format of some of my writings got lost because I did not use HTML. I will try to do a better job from home whenever I have time.
    Sincerely,
    orestes.

12. Michael Lee

Thanks Orestes-
    But that won't work for me...if I do select cable as a Local Area 1, it merely pulls in all of my regular cable channels, along with the OTA signals of my Local Area 2(which is 3 different HD signals). I have to select Antenna in order for my cable HD feed to be recognized. Since the Antenna has to be selected for my actual antenna, I cannot select them both at the same time. The only way I can figure anything out is to switch local area choices in the menu when I want to switch between cable HD and regular OTA HD. It's either that or a physical A/B switcher. Maybe I am the one that isn't explaining myself well.
    Any advice appreciated.
    ------------------
    My LD Collection

13. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

orestes,
    Michael is right, whay you and I are doing is different from what he wants to do. We want our OTA antenna signal in 1 input and our regular analog cable(non-HD)(QAM type signal) in the other input.
    Michael wants his OTA antenna in 1 input but he does not want his regular analg cable(non-HD) in the other input. Instead he want to pull in the HD signal only which his cable service transmits as an OTA 8VSB(non-QAM) HD signal in his other input. This unfortunately can't be done since both inputs be have to be set as antenna which is inpossible(only 1 can be set as antenna).
    Sorry Michael, the only mistake I see you made during your attempt was by diplexing the signal. Don't use a diplexer, instead try it with a regular 5Mh-1000Mhz splitter reversed instead.
    Antenna + Cable joined with splitter into 1 input, name that input antenna in the setup menu. If this doesn't work these no other trick to try that I can think of. I would try it but unfortunately my TWC service sends our HD channels as a QAM signal which the DST3000 can't decode. I know because I scanned the cable line alone with the DST3000 with zero results. Luckily I also have TWC's SA Explorer 2000HD HD cable box to watch HBOHD, CBS, FOX. Looks like their adding ABC too, it showed up in the EPG this week but no picture yet.

14. Michael Lee

Daryl L-

15. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Michael,
    Kewl, I wasn't aware you tried the regular splitter as well(you didn't mention it). Well, I guess you'll have to go the A/B switch route. You can get a remote controlled A/B switch for bout $40 from RadioShack or HomeTech.com. LOL I have 2 remote controlled switchers, an A/B switch and an A/B/C/D(4 in 1 out) switchers.
    You can set the A/B switch to your antenna and scan the channels then anytime you want to watch a cable HD channel just switch over the A/B switch to the cable line and manually tune to the cable HD channel on the DST3000.
    Geez I wish our cables HD was 8VSB because my cable box is setup for a widescreen TV and has no Aspect ratio control. With a 4x3 TV the images are stretched vertically to fill in the black bar area that a 4x3 set would normally have with a widescreen image.