DSS vs Cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelvin F, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Kelvin F

Kelvin F Auditioning

Hello All,

I`m thinking about changing over to DSS from cable. Cable tv doesn`t have enough variety of channels for my area. My main question is what is the difference in video quality between the two? Is DSS much better in that respect? Any input would be greatly appreciated.THANKS

2. James Camm

James Camm Extra

search please

3. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    The difference is amazing. The picture and sound quality can't comapre with cable. We still keep basic cable to get the local stations and switching back and forth knocks your socks off. I would never go back to cable. Once you get it it, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

4. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

From everything that I have seen and read, a good digital cable signal will almost always be better then most satellite systems. While I don't have the capability of a 5.1 digital out or S-Video on my digital cable box (they are suppose to be upgrading...really...no really), my picture quality is fantastic.
    Here is a quote from the DBS FAQ. The entire document can be found at http://www.dbsforums.com/dbs/a0.html.
    "The picture and sound quality on both DIRECTV and DISH is noise-free and ghost-free which is appealing, but it falls short of ideal. There are significant digital artifacts and picture softness resulting from the heavy compression used. The overall quality is now generally considered below that of a good cable system, but much better than most cable systems."
    So the real question of quality comes down to how good your local cable signal is now. Make sure you buy a satellite system with a return policy in the event that you are disappointed.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

5. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

Maybe it is possible to get better cable quality that DSS - BUT in real life it doesn't work out that way, at least in my area. Cable quality was crap, my cable was always going out with bad weather. I've had my Dish go out twice since I've had it (April), for a few minutes each time in bad rainstorms. Quality and sound is simply wonderful. The only stereo TV stations on my cable were the local broadcast stations (NBC, CBS, etc.). I have two cable receivers and am paying ($38/mo) less than with cable ($42) and getting 65 more channels.

6. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

Sorry - that's "two satellite receivers"

7. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree. I personally have yet to see digital cable look better than even my overly compressed DirecTv. I have many friends that have digital Time Warner, but even they say DirecTv looks better. A few have even switched.

With Dish and DirecTv merging, and the new spot beam sats becoming operational in a few weeks, I don't think cable will be able to come close for a while.

Matt

8. Tim Campbell

Tim Campbell Agent

I am stuck in the apartment world so I am stuck with cable

9. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

About being stuck in an apartment: If you have a balcony with the appropriate exposure (an area that you alone control), by Federal law you cannot be prevented by the landlord or by a homeowner's organization from mounting a satellite dish on your balcony.

10. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

11. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

I agree.......cable does not compare to dish, at least in my area. My neighbor just switched from dish to cable because his wife wanted the local channels & he did not want to put up an ota. I took a peak at his reception today - some channels are ok, but most were not very sharp. My only complaint with satellite is the lack of locals. Hopefully, this will be corrected this spring or so I have been told. My parents also have cable and they seem to have bad reception frequently.

12. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

I believe that Dish and Direct TV both offer the local stations at an additional cost. In my area (D/FW) the cost to add local stations was only 4.99 per month. Way cheaper than having basic cable. I could even shoose to get distant metropolitan areas if I wanted for a little more.
    And yes, the quality is better, much better.
    Get the satellite, spring for the locals, and don't look back.
    [​IMG]
    I think you can even take advantage of Dish's Digital advantage program where you don't have to buy any equipment. The rental is included in the monthly cost.
    That's what I did, and I got 4 recievers, 150 stations (plus a zillion music stations)local channels, etc. for about $54 per month. Again, way better than cable.[​IMG]