DSS/Tivo combo boxes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John B., Jan 8, 2003.

1. John B.

John B. Stunt Coordinator

Could someone recommend a good combo DSS/TIVO (or DSS/REPLAY TV if that even exists) system? Particularly something someone's used and the interface and all works really well. Thanks

2. John B.

John B. Stunt Coordinator

the sony SAT-T60 sounds good, but i'd like a little more recording time...it's just 35 hrs.

also, as far as the ratings for how many hrs these boxes will record. most look to be like 35 hrs = 35 gb, 60 gb = 60 hrs, etc....are there not any different recording qualities (like ep/sp/slp w/ a vcr)? or if so, what do they usually quote? thanks

3. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

There is no such thing as a Replay/DSS combo box, only a DirecTV/TiVo combo box, commonly known as a DirecTiVo. Hughes recently released their 2nd generation DirecTiVo product, but from the posts that I've read, it doesn't offer a whole bunch over the Sony T-60 that you've already seen which is a first generation product. Be aware that TiVo has stated that some upcoming feature enhancements may only be available on newer platforms.
    There is no quality level on the combo boxes because they just record the incoming DirecTV bitstream, thus there is no encode process on which to control quality. I used to have a Philips DirecTiVo and I would say that 30 hours or so was an accurate estimate of the storage.
    It is possible to add a 2nd drive to increase storage. While not terribly difficult, it does take a little bit of technical acumen.
    See TiVo Community for more details on both the DirecTiVo as well as increasing drive space.