DSS intermittent problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Grant B, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

My Sony SAT HD100 has been problem free until recently. At times everything is blacked out with a '0' signal. By resetting (pull the AC) I can bring them back sometimes for the day or just a few minutes. Other DSS is fine so it's not Dish Pointing.
    I changed coax connectors but if they were bad they wouldn't get better at times.

Anyone ever run into this before?
    Thanks
    Grant

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    My sister was having a similar problem recently with her (non-HD) system. The signal strength meter fluctuated, never getting over 85, and everything would drop out from time to time. We just set her to a different transponder that got us a higher signal strength. End of provlem.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Wayne
    Thanks!
    So if it's a transponder I should be able to swap the coax at the Dish and if it's the transpoder it'll go to my non-Hidef TIVO system.
    Stays with the Hidef and it confirms the Xcver.

In my head I crossed off the dish because of the SS at the other system. But the bad Xponder would make sense.
    My compliments!
    Grant

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hmm... Not sure we’re talking about the same thing. Like I said, my sister’s isn’t hi def, but it didn’t require any cable swapping. Changing transponders is accessed through the menu, has something to do with the satellites.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If the satellite had a bad transponder (transponders are on that big thing 22,000 miles above the earth not down here), then everyone in the country watching channels that were carried on that transponder would have the same problem.

Is the HD100 an older model HD receiver? Does it have a fan? Most of the fanless HD receivers run hot and will eventually burn themselves up (not literally). The best thing you can do is add a laptop cooler underneath it.

-Robert

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Why did it stop all the problems she had been having? For 3-4 months the signal strength never hit above 85 (at least when she checked it) and there were frequent “blackouts,” where the screen would go blank. I don’t know much about DSS, I’m just wondering. After we changed to a different transponder, signal strength went to 96-97 with no fluctuation, and there hasn’t been any more problems.

By the way, my sister’s system is at least 10 years, some of the earliest stuff Sony offered, if that makes a difference...

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Doesn't make a difference at all. The broadcast technology hasn't changed since day one.

As of Feb 1, 2004, here's the channel to transponder map. If you notice, they left out the spot beam transponders for local channels since that varies by location. My locals are on TP4. If I check the strength on it, it is maxed out at 100. I can check TP12, which is another area's local spot beam, and I get a zero signal strength.

-Robert

8. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Grant, how are your boxes connected? Is there a line straight from the dish to each box or are you going through a multiswitch? It sounds like a connector/coax problem or more likely your box is developing a problem. Did you change connectors all the way back to the dish or just at the Sony itself?

It sounds like your other boxes are working well so I'm guessing you go through a multiswitch. Switch the Sony and one of the other functioning boxes and see what happens. That should at least determine where the defect lies -- connector, dish, box, multiswitch.

I agree that changing transponders shouldn't do anything since all that is doing is measuring the signal for a handful of channels. I'm not sure if something else happened simultaneously (leaves fell off unblocking the signal, a loose connector got shifted or replaced, or something electronic fixed itself), but as long as everything is better it probably doesn't make a difference until it crops up again.

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Yes 1st generation Sony HD but it does have a fan.
    There is no local service for sony DSS and sending it in is $80.
    It seems like some IC is the problem since when it is unplugged for a long while it'll be ok and the heat causes it go out out of tolerence.
    I'll keep it unplugged till the Super Bowl....and then off to Sony unless I find a cheap one for sale
    Grant