What's new

DSS for 5 TVs? (1 Viewer)

hanzelin

Auditioning
I have been a long time prowler around HTF. Thanks to the members of this forum, I recently took the plunge an aquired a KV-36XBR450 and LOVE IT.
My problem, like so many others, is that I have ATT Cable and it is poo. Not only does it look bad on the new TV, but getting Cartoon Network is NOT EVEN AN OPTION for my area. Bad, bad, bad. I need my Powerpuff Girls.
At any rate, I have been thinking about going with DirecTV. The football package was the deciding factor for this.
My problem is that I have 5 TVs (I know. It is sick.). The XBR, my bedroom, kitchen, guest room and the basement ( for my daughters).
I will get the DirecTV/HDTV unit for the XBR for HBO-HD. That means the elliptical dish. Can I put 3 dual LNBs on the elliptical dish? Will I need 4 additional boxes (at 6 bucks a month per)?
Is there a better way to do this?
Thanks for all the help in the past, and for your input in this issue.
peace,
rickster
------------------
"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes
You just might find
You get what you need"

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"Can I put 3 dual LNBs on the elliptical dish?"
You don't need the third LNB unless you are going to get local channels from North Carolina.
"Will I need 4 additional boxes (at 6 bucks a month per)?"
It's actually $4.99 per extra box per month. You only need one box per channel you will be watching. If you only have four people in the house, then you only need four boxes (unless you have PIP on a TV, then you need a box for that). You can use a channel modulator, and send the signal from each box to all the TV's in your house. I did the same thing for both of my boxes plus my VCR and DVD player.
If you are dead set on one box per TV, then you need a 4 in/8 out multi-switch to replace the 4 in/4 out multi-switch that comes with the eliptical dish.
-Robert
[Edited last by Robert_J on August 29, 2001 at 06:47 PM]

hanzelin

Auditioning
Robert_J,
Thanks for the info.
I think that, at most, 3 TVs will be in use at any one time. The problem is that I don't want to have to run upstairs to change the channel in the basement (assuming that I have the box upstairs).
Is this where the RF remote comes into play?
peace,
rickster

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
Some boxes come with RF remotes which does allow you to change the chanel from a different room. I don't know the distances that it'll reach but I'm sure it would work just like a cordless phone.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The modulators I use will relay IR remote signals from any room in the house that has an IR target. The problem with that is if you have two or more of the same sat receiver. One remote would work all of them at the same time. UHF remotes are addressable. I use a combination of both UHF and IR.
-Robert

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Rickster- I feel your pain. I am trying to figure out the best way to accomplish the same thing. I have 5 different locations; Master BR (Sony 35"), Master Bath (Sony Wega 13"), Kids room (RCA 27"), Great Room (35" Mits) and basement (HDTV/Projector).
I have three rooms that are set up for DD/5.1 HT's and will need 3 boxes with DD output (MBR, Great Room and Basement).
What is the best way to set this system up to have at least 3 separate channels/rooms going at once??
PLEASE HELP ME GET RID OF MY COMSHAFT...I mean Comcast Cable. I want my DISH Network!!
Thanks, Brett
------------------

Jonathan Gross

Auditioning
You don't need the third LNB unless you are going to get local channels from North Carolina.
Please explain this. I am getting ready to buy a DirecTV/HDTV setup for my Mits 55805. I want to get the local HDTV feeds out of Charlotte. I will need another LNB to do this? I thought I just had to use an OTA Antenna and run it through the DircTV receiver. Please clarify this. Thanks.
P.S. - I only live 50-60 miles from Charlotte so getting an OTA signal should not be a problem.

Tony G

Stunt Coordinator
Jonathan,
Robert was talking about getting locals over satellite. You don't need the LNB to get OTA signals, just run the antenna feed through the receiver, just as you were thinking.
Tony

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone help me!!??
Thanks, Brett
confused.gif

------------------

CRyan

Screenwriter
Brett, in order to receive HD, you will need two dishes. I would recommend getting a Quad for the 119/110 and a single for HD (61.5). This will give you the easiest setup and installation. The Quad may be a bit more expensive, but you will not need any additional switches etc.
Anyway, you will need the Dish 6000 receiver for HD and whatever other receivers you want (depends if you want toslink or not).
If you only want to be able to display three different channels at any given time then all you need is three receivers. You will have to decide for yourself what will be the easiest way to have the TV's hooked up.
Example: If you never anticipate the master bath and master bedroom being on different channels, then you can run both of these TV's from the same reciever. The closer you have the TV's running from the same box, the easier it will be to run the cable. Basically, each box has multiple video outputs, giving you the ability to run multiple TV's with one box on any one channel. Many of the receivers will have RF remotes that will allow you too change the channel from another room. So you can channel surf in the room where you do not have the receiver.
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
C. Ryan, thanks for the info.....How do I send the signal then from my Master BR (Where the receiver would be) to the Master Bath where I have a 13" Sony mounted about 7 feet high where the cable jack and electrical outlet are also??
Do I have to fish a coax line from the receiver output through the MB wall and up the MasterBath wall to my current cable outlet location??
Thanks again,
Brett
------------------

CRyan

Screenwriter
Most receivers will have several A/V outputs (2-composite, 1-svideo, and a coax). Any one of these can be sent to the bathroom TV. So you will have to run a cable from that receiver into the bath. There are wireless solutions available if a cable cannot be run covertly.
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

Tom Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how it works with Direct, but with the DishNetwork you can have your system installed where you can watch four different shows on four tv's at one time. I did. Just be ready to shell out a little extra cash. The original Dish 500 satellite and the primary receiver were free (including installation). With the dual line dish you can run a second line off the satellite to tv #2. This costs $99 for receiver + $50 for extra install. Now here is where it gets sticky. To run individual dedicated line to two more tv's you need to purchase a splitter ($120) + 2 more receivers at $99 ea.+ $50 extra per room for install. If your rooms are prewired you can save yourself some money on the install process. It ended up costing me $729 for satellite for three rooms ( I did get back a $199 rebate from Dish). There is also a $4.99 charge per receiver per month ( excluding the primary receiver ). With Dish, many locations are capable of receiving their local channels ($4.99--one charge per month). It seems like alot, but once you see the difference in the quality of the satellite picture over the cable picture, you will consider it money well spent.-------TJW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks