What's new

DSS connection with existing cable wires? (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

I have just bought a new home, and it's pre-wired with RG6 cable for tv.

However, since I really dislike digital cable, I elected to purchase DirecTV

Anyway, the installer is coming out tomorrow, and instead of running new wire from the dish to the receivers (2), I'm wondering if I might suggest to him to use some of the existing wiring...

Would this make his job easier or more difficult?

Also, all the wall jacks have a combo phone/data/cable connected faceplate... so if he uses the existing cable feed, would I be able to simply hook up the DSS receivers to the existing cable plug?

Thanks!

Thanks Brian...

Quick follow-up:

Did the installer disconnect the cable source, and attach the DSS as the new source feed, or did he simply "tap" into the existing line, and fed the DSS signal through there?

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
tom,
It all depends on how your house was wired. If you want to tap into a single cable and feed multiple satellite receivers, it will cost you extra. You will have to buy a stacker for the dish and a de-stacker at each receiver. If you were planning on using a multi-sat dish for HDTV or locals from the 119 satellite, then you SOL. You can't use splitters in a satellite install. How many receivers do you want? Are any DVR's? Do you want HD programming? Do you want locals over satellite? Where do you live? (just the or general area)

-Robert

I have two receivers that will need hookup... the dish and both receivers (basic models) were part of a promotional package, so I'm fairly certain that the dish can accomodate two receivers.

I do not need HDTV, and I live in the San Francisco bay Area, so local channels will also come via the same dish.

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You will need two coax cables run to your dish. If you only have a single coax in place now, you can either run another or user a stacker/de-stacker. A stacker puts both the left and right hand polarized frequencies on one cable. This is the only time you can use splitters in a satellite install. Put a de-stacker at each receiver. A stacker is about $250 and de-stackers are $75 each. If you ever upgrade to an eliptical dish, the stackers won't work.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks