What's new

DSOTM SACD disc defect....check yours (1 Viewer)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Notice on the back of the DSOTM SACD, in small type, it says something like "disc is sold AS IS" (all caps included!). Geez, that's pretty crappy. Glad I returned my copy in case stores get word not to accept returns.
Well I don't think Sony/EMI would go that route on what is a quality control issue. I believe they put that on the back for the people who are having problems playing the cd layer. Monday morning should be interesting at the SONY/EMI offices....
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
If it helps any: On my CD cases that have tight spindle teeth, to remove the CD I gently press on the teeth with one finger (this pulls the teeth away from the spindle hole)while pulling on the disc itself--then they easily come out.

LJ

TomCW

Second Unit
Took my cracked disc, (with the receipt), back to Busted Buy.
The customer service droid informed me that I was one day past their 30 day return policy, but when he saw my facial expression change, he decided I could have a replacement. There were NO copies on the shelf, (the NEW, IMPROVED DVD-A/SACD shelf) so I asked the music sales droid if they had any more. He said "Oh, so you're THE GUY that buys the SACDs". I asked him if he had ever listened to SACD, and he told me he did'nt have a DVD PLAYER at home. Turns out that they had 30+ copies, all in the back room.

Tom

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
No cracks here.

Looks like the ones made in Japan (like mine) will be okay.

Check your disc along the label edge where the copyright stuff is. You may have to hold it real close to a light to read the black printing on the very dark blue/purple background. The back inlay card also says where the disc is made, but it may not always be right as some have noted on Hoffman's forum.

Joel

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Maybe Lee can get us some info on what Sony/EMI plan to do about this...
Steve,

I don't have any relationship with either EMI or Sony, but my guess is that they would offer replacements if the defect prevents one from playing the discs.

I have a few thoughts on the matter:

1. Many of the postings are originating from one person at Audio Asylum (michi) and there seems to be little evidence that playability of the disc is affected.

2. I checked all of my 120 SACDs and could not find any cracks around the spindle using a magnifying glass.

3. There seems to be a belief that Crest may have had an issue due to its new copolymer disc. This is generally an enhancement that the industry likes (it lowers jitter for instance) but perhaps it requires stricter mfg. controls which were not properly implemented.

4. Hybrids are being manufactured in several facilities (you are correct Mark) so it is unlikely it is a hybrid issue. Hybrids have been on the market for four years now with nary a complaint (besides more titles please), so that technology has been proven.

5. This news may spread fast in some quarters based on political and marketing agendas of some. We have to be aware of that possibility and guard against it.

BOTTOM LINE:

This could be one of those paranoid news items that quickly spreads like wildfire across the net. Or it could be a legitimate defect involving disc manufacturing.

We should be careful to see what the facts come out to be and not jump to any conclusions. If it is a defect, the last thing anyone wants is a new format with a "recall effort" that is worse than it has to be. I am sure the labels responsible will step up and make exchanges happen.

:)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

I, for one, only use the term we when I have some personal involvement.

Just an observation. :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
No cracks here. I'll note, though, that the disc has never been removed from my 775 since the day it went in. :)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
5. This news may spread fast in some quarters based on political and marketing agendas of some. We have to be aware of that possibility and guard against it.
I agree - the facts are the facts, and we should stick to them here! I, for one, am glad this thread was started as I was able to return my cracked disc just under BB's 30 day return deadline (I still would have given grief if otherwise)!

Cheers,

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Al, just to let you know that MY 555es locks up all the time. It's done it with this disc (no cracks) and other SACD's...it's even locked up with redbook discs from time to time.

I have sent it back to Pennsylvania for service because at one time it wouldn't read SACD's at ALL. Now it works perfectly 99.9% of the time, but still locks up from time to time. I have to kill the power for 30 seconds and turn the unit back on and usually all is fine.

The unit defaults to multi-channel on any multi-channel release. I only run a 2.1 setup right now, so I constantly have to switch the unit over to two channel. Not sure if this has an effect or not, but I doubt it's the cracks on your DSOTM disc that is causing the problems. I have read quite a bit over at AA about reliability issues on the 555 unfortunately.

Just letting you know of my experiences. I would have to guess in your case it's the player and not the disc, but I obviously could be wrong.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
As stated before, my disc has seven cracks in it. I've done a random check of dozens of CDs, DVDs, and SACDs, and none have this type of cracking.

The disc is now a worthless piece of garbage that I also cannot stick in my $1,000 DVD-S2300. Not only is it the only disc that has locked up, but there is a chance it could shatter and damage the player.

Spread the word. Post about your actual experiences (positive or negative) in the appropriate thread of every forum you belong to.

We need to make this problem as visible as possible. Hopefully somebody can get the mass media to pick this up soon.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
This is probably a defective unit if its also locking up on redbook
Like I said...WAS locking up on redbook...but since servicing the unit it works 99.9% of the time correctly, but still locks up from time to time on SACD...including the DSOTM disk once in a while.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
The unit defaults to multi-channel on any multi-channel release. I only run a 2.1 setup right now, so I constantly have to switch the unit over to two channel.
You can change which mode it defaults to in the setup. Just select MC or 2 channel and there you have it.

My unit has never locked up on any disc but DSOTM & that disc has done it twice like I said before.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I have noticed only 2 small cracks a couple of mm long from the center hole. Not sure if they go through the entire thickness of the disc. Last time I played it, no problems in my 'C555ES. I have not taken the disc out many times, as it stayed in my player for the first couple of weeks. I'm curious to see if stress from the spinning motion will increase the size or number of cracks.

Doug

MichaelTa

Agent
Well I have no agenda other then I like music in all formats. The facts here are I and many others have defective discs. We people that visit the different message boards are a very small percentage of the people that have bought this disc, what about all the people that don't even know they might have a problem. As far as 1 person on AA having an agenda just go to the Steve Hoffman message board and debunk what those posters have to say. But I do have a cracked DSOTM SACD. It has 6 cracks with the longest being almost 1/4 of an inch long. It is a made in USA disc. I have had it lock up my SACD player 1 time and I am now thinking of not playing it anymore until this issue is resolved.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
BOTTOM LINE:

This could be one of those paranoid news items that quickly spreads like wildfire across the net. Or it could be a legitimate defect involving disc manufacturing.
No, it's not. It's the truth, and I'm *very* pissed off about EMI or Sony, or whomever it was making such a mistake. I bought my 3 discs via mail order, so now I won't get any refunds. Things like this make me think twice about SACD's future. :angry:

Mark All

Second Unit
Call me crazy, but I did a little experiment with my copy last night. I bent it and flexed it in multiple directions. No cracks appeared. I figured I'd take it back to the store if anything bad happened. Maybe they cooked up a bad batch of plastic somewhere, but my copy is fine. Made in USA too.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I want to see SACD prosper as well there is more titles on SACD that I want than DVD-A. I own 3 DVD-A titles and I might buy 2 more? The few DVD-A's I have I play via DD or DTS. I how ever have plans to buy more SACD titles and I hope they come out with more.

My SACD player is a Sony DVP-S9000 ES and it playes back very nicely. How ever the disc seems to have a crack parallel with the center hole. I have played this disc 3 times since I have purchased it this pass weekend. I am wondering if this is a widespead problem or if it is only a limited number of discs affected? As long as we do not start having problems with SACD discs I am planing on buying a multi channel sacd player by next summer. I may just replace my DSOTM this weekend?

Ike

Screenwriter
No cracks on Dark Side for me. Not spun very often. Playing it on a normal CD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks