What's new

DSOTM on DVD-Audio...is coming! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike said:

Uh-oh, if Dark Side is on both high-res formats, we could end up with a debate over which format is better.
Yeah, I'd hate to see that. Up 'til now, supporters of the two formats have gotten along like peas and carrots. :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mark, thanks for the news. Things are looking up for DVD-Audio, assuming that forthcoming releases -- Dark Side of the Moon, The Beach Boys Pet Sounds, and Queen The Game, for example -- pan out. Glad I upgraded my DVD-Audio player! :D

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
According to my contact at DTS, Queen's The Game is on target for the latest delivery date of 4/29.

You left off two other upcoming DVD-A titles, Fleetwood Mac's new disc (slated for a day and date release with the CD (I forget the title)) as is Steely Dan's Everything Must Go

Regards,

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
So not a slap in the face. A later release on DVD-A really can't hurt Sony since the bulk of sales are already done, even if just for the redbook version only. Same could be said if the DVD-A came before the SACD.
Good point, but even one sale of a DVD-A means Sony helped out the cause of the "other side" by paying for the multichannel mix to be created. I can't believe they did not have it in their deal for exclusivity on this particular multichannel mix.

J

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Good point, but even one sale of a DVD-A means Sony helped out the cause of the "other side" by paying for the multichannel mix to be created. I can't believe they did not have it in their deal for exclusivity on this particular multichannel mix.
No record label in their right mind is going to accept an infinite exclusivity agreement for any version of an album for a certain format. Such an agreement is always going to be for a finite period.

If Sony's exclusive is even just for a few months, they have benefited substantially from the arrangement. DSotM is the best press that the SACD format has ever gotten.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I wasn't trying to be complete in listing upcoming DVD-Audio titles. I certainly would welcome titles from Fleetwood Mac and Steely Dan. I also read in the current issue of ICE that Jackson Browne is working on Running on Empty for DVD-Audio. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
If Sony's exclusive is even just for a few months, they have benefited substantially from the arrangement. DSotM is the best press that the SACD format has ever gotten.
True enough. I just did not expect a DVD-A to be out in the same year as the 30th Anniversary SACD release. EMI has nor problems double dipping, which is alright with me.

J

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I just did not expect a DVD-A to be out in the same year as the 30th Anniversary SACD release.
DSOTM on sacd is for the eight people with sacd-only multichannel rigs that also like Pink Floyd. :)

The DSOTM/dvd-audio is for everybody else.

(I never even made it to co-captain of my wrestling team; I wonder why that was? Hmmm......:D)

LJ

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
DSOTM on sacd is for the eight people with sacd-only multichannel rigs that also like Pink Floyd.

The DSOTM/dvd-audio is for everybody else.
Now thats an unbiased open statement :D

By the way Lance, do you own an sacd player or have you had a chance to listen to one on a decent system(not a kiosk in BB or CC)?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I just did not expect a DVD-A to be out in the same year as the 30th Anniversary SACD release.
I did not either - I see that Brian Moura is skeptical that this is true and points to the rumors about the DSOTM DVDA. Maybe we should wait until an EMI rep officially puts forth a release date. :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Good point, but even one sale of a DVD-A means Sony helped out the cause of the "other side" by paying for the multichannel mix to be created.
Only if done completely to an analog tape, which is unlikely.

If to analog, then there is still work to A to D to 24/96 or 24/192 which will cost EMI extra. Then they have to produce and edit the video and extras content.

And based on Guthrie's comments on Super Audio, they might need to line up a new engineer...

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

And based on Guthrie's comments on Super Audio, they might need to line up a new engineer...
If Guthrie chooses to play the role of prima donna, that's his choice. There's supposed to be some guy out there named Alan Parsons, who might be delighted to work on the material.

Regards,

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Why would Guthrie have a problem with it? He wished for SACD and he got it. Now there is the opportunity for Pink Floyd and EMI to make even more money by releasing another format, and he's going to stomp out of the room in a huff?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Why would Guthrie have a problem with it? He wished for SACD and he got it.
So, this is what happened? SACD was Guthrie's call?

I'm being a tad facetious here, but only because I've heard so many explanations of the whys and wherefors of the DSOTM SACD release, that I'm beginning to wonder if you guys are just making it up as you go along, settling on this story or that to the degree it fits an agenda or preconception. And I'm certainly not picking on Wayne--after all, FAIK his version is the accurate version--but I've heard so many stories about how this and that came about that I'm starting to doubt the efficacy of most of the reporting on these forums...

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator

No kidding. This is an album that begs to be heard in surround sound, not to mention any added visual material. I highly doubt many in the general public care only about the stereo-only track on SACD; it's the 5.1 draw that's getting a few more people to buy SACD players.

Because if the much higher # of DVD surround systems out there than similar SACD setups, this release - if it in fact happens - will create much more noise than this warm-up act.

Rob

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have no problem with EMI trying to make more money. The whole music industry is hurting. They currently have a $25 list price on DVD-As, which, with the exception of titles like DSOTM, have little chance of selling many copies. The new hybrid SACD release is selling very well: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=11569324

This certainly won't hurt future hybrid SACD efforts. Whatever the DVD-A sells will just be gravy to EMI.

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I have a problem with is that Best buy advertised it in the sunday ad they had and it said that it had 5.1 sound but said nothing about only playable in SACD player or such. I think this might mislead people into thinking they could put it in their cd player or dvd player and hear it in 5.1 on any surround system while in fact most people won't be able to hear it in 5.1 at all or even in High res.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Oh, boo-hoo.

Why does it seem that in every thread on this forum, someone attempts to justify this or that complaint or concern on the basis of what the most ignorant and uninformed among us might mistakenly believe? Fuck 'em. Let 'em stuff LP records in their VCRS, let 'em cut their hair with lawnmowers, let 'em melt cheese in toasters, let 'em chew on pens until the ink runs down their throats, let 'em lick freezing cold lamp-posts, let 'em stick their penises in vacuum cleaner nozzles, let 'em run around swimming pools with pinking shears, let 'em eat their own bloody boogers, let 'em do every goddam stupid ass thing they're gonna do anyway despite the warning stickers, despite their own experience, and despite the good advice of their mamas.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, no doubt about it, as robert so persuasively states, this release is a huge disappointment, a catastrophe, a boondoggle, a folly, and a failure. Should never have even been conceived, the world would be a better place without it, and I'm throwing away my disc when I get home.

To think, for once I thought I was with the popular crowd, running with the herd, participating in the prevailing zeitgeist, when all along I was hand-holding a loser. Fie, evil unpopular disc, fie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks