DSL vs. Cable

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Haris Ellahi, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

If both Internet connections were available at the exact same speeds at prices, which one would you pick? Why? Which type of connection is better for downloading and online gaming?

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

If both were available at the same speed and prices, I'd pick DSL, with the reasoning that since it is a single line (i.e. direct to your home and not shared with people in your vicinity). Cable bandwidth is shared among people in the same area, meaning that speeds can decrease as more and more people log on (usually during evening hours).

I've heard that DSL is SLIGHTLY better than cable for gaming and downloading, but it really depends on the quality of wiring and your distance to the local switching area. You should expect a MUCH lower ping (compared to dialup access) in online games regardless of which service you choose.

Having said that, Cable is generally less expensive than DSL, at least in this neck of the woods. If it's the same where you live (lower price for cable), I'd pick cable for the time being.

Hope I haven't confused you even more! [​IMG]

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

DSL tends to be a lil more stable, I'd go with that.. there's nothing like dropping down to a 300+ ping while playing an online game with cable (which admittedly is rare but depends on the ISP). Cable has a higher transmission rate though and my local service knocks $10 off the price monthly if I get Cable TV & internet.

If the DSL home office is close to your house AND you get more than 128k upload go for it.

4. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Cable. It isn't that cable is shared, it's that the INTERNET is shared. If a router is overloaded by too many users, it doesn't matter much if it's at your local cable plant, or by the DSLAMs in the phone office.

Ask around your area, and find out which is better *in your neighbourhood.*

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

DSL is my pick though I'm on cable right now. Better price due to the cable TV + internet connect package.
    One thing I've done since I've had cable and have know the cons on it..when people around town ask how is it , I always say it sucks.That way no one else gets it...more bandwidth for me! [​IMG]

6. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Cable is generally cheaper and allows for higher bandwidth, adelphia for example offers 3mBit service in our area, of course the best I can pull is around 1.5-2.0mBit but that's a given. not to bad for 49.99 a month. during the summer whent he university dumps out I bet adelphia's speed will be amazing. aside from that adelphia has the worst router setup causing some massively high pings.

though in reality both cable and DSL will ping about the same provided your on a good ISP.

I recently switched over to DSL because adelphia oversold and oversaturated their lines making their internet intollerably slow. Now I'm paying 70$ a month for 1.5mBit DSL through verision and a local ISP. it's mroe expensive but the service is better.

basically, it just comes down to which is cheaper and which give you what you want. look for the better ISP and not the better hardware used.

7. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I was gonna say the same thing Shayne, having worked for 2 of the largest Telco companys in the world (i.e. Qwest and Comcast) and 1 being a Phone company and the other Cable I can tell you there's really no better than the other, it really comes down to price & speed in your area. like here in Washington Qwest/MSN and all other DSL providers can not touch us for speed price, right now in Washington state you'll get 640kbps down/256kbps up from Qwest for $39.99, 768kbps down/128kbps up from Verizon for $49.95 a month, and through us you get 1.5-2.5Mbps down, 256 - 384kbps up for 42.95 a month so the choice is quite easy here. In all my years of having broadband service I was one of the first to jump on the DSL bandwagon up here way back when and I've had problem out the kazoo with DSL every time I get, never get good line quality, sudden drop outs etc, I've had my Latest cable connection for over a year now and have yet to have one single problem with it as far as speed, drop outs or anything.

8. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    If everything was equal, I'd get cable. It'd be up and running faster.

But the deck is stacked in cable's favor. It's:

Cheaper
    Can be switched on remotely (no need for extra equipment installation)
    Faster. You heard me -- I'm not talking about theoretical speeds, but actual surveyed speed.
    Cable is 50% faster on average.