What's new

DSL USB or Ethernet? (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Is there any difference in terms of speed between a USB modem or an ethernet modem for DSL? I'm getting DSL from Bellsouth and they are sending me a USB modem, but they also offer an ethernet modem. Do I need an additional equipment for the ethernet modem?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
The only extra equipment that you will need is an Ethernet card, which costs as low as $19. A USB modem will work, but in some ways you're boxing yourself in when it comes to expansion.

By the way ...

GET A DSL ROUTER!

Don't just hook your connection directly to your PC! Let the router do all of the firewall and NAT for you.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
What should I look for in a router? Any particular brands I should look for? What price range am I looking at? Also, if I go the router route I'd like to give my laptop access. Can you reccomend a wireless one?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
John,

I did a quick search on C-Net and came up with the following:

Linksys EtherFast wireless AP
NetGear MR314 cable/DSL wireless router
Belkin wireless cable/DSL gateway router

Are you familiar with any of them, and if so which would you recommend? Also I guess I'll need a wireless modem for the laptop. Is it wise to stay with the same brand as the router?

One last question (I'm a total newbie to this whole networking thing). I'm guessing I'll still need an ethernet card if I decide to go with a router right?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I don't use wireless. I installed CAT5 throughout my house.

I personally use a LinkSys and I can't say that I've ever had a problem with it. I'm familiar with both NetGear and Belkin, but I cannot vouch for their abilities.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Ethernet is definitely the way to go. You never know when you'l want to add a second device to your network, even if you don't have one now.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, with a DSL modem its not possible to easily share the modem. I have an outboard ethernet modem and to use DSL on two PC's with the external DSL ethernet modem, you just setup high speed on both PC's and thats it. You then connect both PC's ethernet cards to a hub or switch and of course the DSL ethernet modem is connected to the hub or switch. You could use a router in place of the switch or hub. Don't bother with a hub, as a switch is much better, but actually, a router is ideal, as mentioned above, because the firewall is nice :)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'd like to add a part to this question.

Bellsouth DSL (residential) requires a login....what router would handle this login? I was under the impression that the USB modem was a must since you have to manually login to use the service.

I'm interested in adding this service to a network, and figured I'd have to go through the trouble of using the USB modem on a "master" PC that would control service to the rest of the network.

What's the easiest way?

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
DSL over USB = eating your steak through a straw.

Bellsouth DSL (residential) requires a login....what router would handle this login? I was under the impression that the USB modem was a must since you have to manually login to use the service.
Bellsouth uses PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) for authentication. Many routers have integrated PPPoE support. I have a Linksys 4 port router which does - all the login information is stored in the router config. The router keeps the connection live 24/7 so there's no need to log in even if all the PCs are shut down.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
SMC's can do PPPoE as as well since this is what I'm using to split my DSL between my and my wifes PC's. Go the ethernet route its more flexible.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Thanks for all the input guys. Its Ethernet for me. I'll be calling Bellsouth tomorrow and change my order.

DSL over USB = eating your steak through a straw.
Love the analogy.

Any suggestions on the router? I listed a few brands that I saw on CNet in my previous post. Feel free to suggest other brands too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks